Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Touch up paint

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi

Did you guys have any success with touch up paint in Tesla? I have a red M3 that needs some touch up but kind of discouraged because of the numerous YouTube videos showing the failure in applying touch up paint on Tesla.

Regards
San

Hi

Did you guys have any success with touch up paint in Tesla? I have a red M3 that needs some touch up but kind of discouraged because of the numerous YouTube videos showing the failure in applying touch up paint on Tesla.

Regards
San
I had failure in them even shipping me the touch up paint after charging me for it. They finally refunded me 3 months later.

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
I had two big scratches on my front bumper from another car license plate screws...
The car must have violently hit my car when parking and left two noticeable scratches.

To fix it I used sandpaper and Touch Paint 4 pens kits primer to make it smooth and then I applied the color matching paint and clear coat.

The scratches are barely noticeable.The surface is not at glacy as the original paint,
but I guess you would need to remove and repaint the full bumper to make it perfect.

For tiny scratches, I also get a Touch Up Brush kit.

I also fixed some curb rashes using 3M 90451 Metal Reinforced Filler and Color Magic Scratch Repair Pen

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: house9
I used the non-tesla branded paint touch up kit for MSM from Dr Colorchip on two dings on the edge of the passenger door and it is invisible in day to day use. I can see where I used it if I get up close, but I'm never that close to them.

Hi

Regards
San
I had a very minor ding that flecked off a small amount of paint on my red M3 driver side door (less than 1/4" wide and 1/8" tall). No dent fortunately, but it left naked white (primer?) exposed. My wife went through her collection of red nail polish and I found one that perfectly matched the red paint. The nail polish brand is Morgan Taylor "Ruby-Two-Shoes" (#19B22AX). You'd have to look quite hard at it to notice any difference.
Art

Reactions: BitJam and ZappCatt
I purchased the touch up paint from Tesla and conned them into comping the touch up labor (small divots in the paint) when it was in the SC for another issue. Great job, can only find one of them - the deeper one -- bcos it has not clear coat so doesn't shine quite as much.

I got the Tesla Touch Up Paint, and I was unsuccessful in applying the paint correctly. The PPSW I received is much darker, more like grey like compared to my car itself.

I watched several videos before proceeding, and even heated up the garage up to 15 Celsius to make sure the paint isn't too impacted by the freezing weather in Canada.

On the first application, I had a lot of trouble keeping the paint on the scratch area, even by smearing with my finger glove and using the squeegee they provided. I left a first initial layer of paint, which seemed a bit transparent (I was going to apply another layer after) and waited for 15 minutes, I used a bit of blending solution and starting slightly rubbing as per the manual (no hard scrubbing, just letting the solution do its work). It did not remove the excess paint as easy as the videos showed, and also removed the paint on the scratched area.

I went for for another layer of paint, still having trouble maintaining that touch up paint into the scratch section. After 10 attemps, I gave up, and rubbed the whole touch up paint off.

I got the Tesla Touch Up Paint, and I was unsuccessful in applying the paint correctly. The PPSW I received is much darker, more like grey like compared to my car itself.

I watched several videos before proceeding, and even heated up the garage up to 15 Celsius to make sure the paint isn't too impacted by the freezing weather in Canada.

On the first application, I had a lot of trouble keeping the paint on the scratch area, even by smearing with my finger glove and using the squeegee they provided. I left a first initial layer of paint, which seemed a bit transparent (I was going to apply another layer after) and waited for 15 minutes, I used a bit of blending solution and starting slightly rubbing as per the manual (no hard scrubbing, just letting the solution do its work). It did not remove the excess paint as easy as the videos showed, and also removed the paint on the scratched area.

I went for for another layer of paint, still having trouble maintaining that touch up paint into the scratch section. After 10 attemps, I gave up, and rubbed the whole touch up paint off.
The result might not be as perfect as if you were painting the full panel, but the important is to protect the metal from any corrosion.

You should wait like a day between each little touch. In most of the cases, nobody beside yourself will really noticed the patch made.

I have a pearl white model 3 and also thought the color was too grey to match. I haven't tried yet, but when you did, how was hte color match when applied?

For what it is worth, I ran this question about the Tesla touch up kit past my service advisor at Autocraft Bodywerks (Tesla Certified Body shop) during a right front door replacement on my MS. He responded that there are 11 gradations of the standard Pearl White water base paint that Tesla uses. Which one matches your car is dependent on many issues and not predictable, which is why they replaced and painted the 100% untouched and perfect rear passenger door shell, and insurance approved it.

I have the Tesla Touch up kit too and intend to try it on some chips from luggage bangs on the rear bumper. An exact match is pretty much impossible but I think less noticeable that even a small chip. They do not give you any clear coat so I am thinking an automatic clear coat pen to top off the fix might also be useful.

Thanks. My wife is an artist, so when it comes time to actually do a chip, I'll have her mix. Joke is I bought the touch-up kit for the long-range purpose of "when needed", but also because there was a tiny spot on my fender that looks like they burned through the paint buffing. Just a tiny spot. Used a tiny drop of paper white-out on it and got a 90+% match. The paint in the kit was simply grey.

Thanks. My wife is an artist, so when it comes time to actually do a chip, I'll have her mix. Joke is I bought the touch-up kit for the long-range purpose of "when needed", but also because there was a tiny spot on my fender that looks like they burned through the paint buffing. Just a tiny spot. Used a tiny drop of paper white-out on it and got a 90+% match. The paint in the kit was simply grey.

I got the PPSW touch up paint for my Pearl White M3 for a small rock chip on the hood. I don't like hearing that the color is grey.

Is the paper white out staying on? If so what was the brand???

Clipped the bumper backing out if the driveway. PPSW. Bought the touch up paint and the paint doesn't match at all. Not even close. Looks silver Grey, instead of pearl white. Not sure what is happening here but I have never seen this mismatch before when purchasing touch up paint on other cars. Anybody got the paint to match up well?

Here are some pics. No comments on the terrible curb rash please. I realize now, tesla skinnied up on their tires and I can't bump the curb like I normally do with every normal car I have ever bought in the last 20yrs.

Attachments

• IMG_20191128_125912.jpg
    IMG_20191128_125912.jpg
    300.9 KB · Views: 1,151
Clipped the bumper backing out if the driveway. PPSW. Bought the touch up paint and the paint doesn't match at all. Not even close. Looks silver Grey, instead of pearl white. Not sure what is happening here but I have never seen this mismatch before when purchasing touch up paint on other cars. Anybody got the paint to match up well?

Man something is not right. That is way off. I would send Tesla that picture and ask them for a refund.

Have you applied more than one coat? I have a couple of dings on my back bumper (a pole jumped out and attacked me when I was backing up). I finally got the kit last week (they had been out of stock for a while) and put the first coat on. With the black underneath, it is going to take a few passes to get it covered. I have the same pearl white as you.

Yes. Multiple layers. I was gonna sand down lightly to smooth out the ridges before final coat but stopped she I saw the match (or lack thereof of).

Notice where the touch up overlaps good paint and how much or little there is matching between the two.