Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tow hitch installer in Bay Area?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a roof rack on my Model Y and did some unscientific testing. The difference was negligible with a naked roof and the Tesla roof racks. A bit more whistling noise at freeway speeds, but that's all.

With a bicycle rack mount (Yakima Frontloader, which has a large frontal area when folded), my efficiency went from 285 to 295 Wh/mi. Again, this is anecdotal, not any true experimentation.

With a hitch, bike rack, and bicycle (road), and without the roof mounted bike rack, the efficiency was mostly the same (295 Wh/mi).

At the end of the day, the whistling noise more than any efficiency bothered me. So much so that, for my Model 3 (sold the Y), I purchased and installed the Stealth Hitch. It is not that hard to install, although I do have some prior experience installing hitches. The installation on the 3 was only a little more difficult because you have to remove the lights, bumper, and some of the substructure behind the bumper. However, you also do not have to balance the hitch while installing, which is what I had to do with my other vehicles (minivans, SUVs, and economy-cars).

• Informative
Reactions: tm1v2 and MrVivekB