Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trailer Hitch for M3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m planning to install a trailer hitch and bike rack on my M3 to carry an e-bike. I live in the east bay and am looking for:
1. What is the most reliable/strong hitch?
2. Ditto with bike rack?
3. Recommendations for a reliable competent installer.

Thanks in advance.
Jesse

I second the Stealth Hitch. It is very well designed and has 2" receiver. They have an installer list on their website, but like mentioned above, it is a pretty easy install that most shops can do without worrying about them messing something up.

Lots of options for bike racks, but as mentioned above, 1up is a very high quality rack, but many others also work very well. Most hitch makers are now making heavier duty racks to handle E-Bikes and the extra weight.

Upvote 0
Does anyone make a 2 inch "Vertical" Receiver tube compatible with Model 3?

Could you find a picture of what you mean by "Vertical" Receiver tube ?

Do you mean something like:

or something like:

Reactions: rotarypower101
Upvote 0
Could you find a picture of what you mean by "Vertical" Receiver tube ?

Do you mean something like:

or something like:

These are for different vehicles, but a 2" receiver tube mounted in a vertical orientation gives a Lot of flexibility, even if there is some added hassle.

Have them on 3 different vehicles, the main attributes are the hitch is unseen when not in use, as well as it is extremely robust and can be configured to maximize vehicle departure angle when that is advantageous. For me, all these attributes have been beneficial, as I do a lot of towing in areas that can be difficult.

Understanding there are "similar" solutions (like "conical" interfaced hidden hitch), explicitly looking for a 2" receiver tube.

If there is not one avalible, I will grudgingly construct one when the time comes.

Attachments

• IMG_1914.jpg
    IMG_1914.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 181
  • IMG_1912.jpg
    IMG_1912.jpg
    319.8 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_1889.jpg
    IMG_1889.jpg
    189.1 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_3885.jpeg
    IMG_3885.jpeg
    457.6 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_3893.jpeg
    IMG_3893.jpeg
    745 KB · Views: 122
Upvote 0
it ... can be configured to maximize vehicle departure angle

I agree with your concern. The Model 3 is very low from the ground.
I installed a Stealth Hitches with a 2" square receiver for my bike rack.
See my experience:

The first time I used it, I heared this big "Bong" noise when passing above a dip.
You can notice that the bottom of the receiver was 7 inches above the ground.

20230311_211854.jpg

I contacted Stealth Hitches and they recommended to use a 6 inches raiser.
In fact this was even worse because this extended the receiver by few inches

20230311_212222.jpg

After getting this second "Bong" noise I decided to test if using a ball mount tow hitch would saved the problem.
So I welded a square 2"x 2" and 6" long receiver on to of the ball mount.
This gave an extra one inch of clerance, and the bottom of the receiver was now 8 inches above the ground.

20230311_213206.jpg

In fact, this was not sufficient enough, as I heared for the third time a big "Bong" noise
However, I noticed that the ball mount could be moved 2" 1/2 closer to the rear bumper.

Tesla Model 3 - Ball Mount Hitch - Extending too far away from Bumper .jpg

So I decide to shorter the ball tow hitch.

1680470268501.jpeg

And welded everything together

20230326_094120.jpg

So far, I don't have the big "Bong" noise that I experienced when driving above a dip.

20230326_085305.jpg

Note: I would not recommend using this custom hitch receiver to tow a trailer but this seems fine for a bike receiver.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I’m planning to install a trailer hitch and bike rack on my M3 to carry an e-bike. I live in the east bay and am looking for:

1. What is the most reliable/strong hitch?

2. Ditto with bike rack?

I wanted a bike carrier easier to remove and to fit in my trunk when not in use.

I would recommend the QuiKRStuff Mach 2, see this previous posting:

Upvote 0