Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tow hitch

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone managed to remove the panel to fit the tow hitch without scratching it?? 😂 I even put tape around the screwdriver I used but still managed to slip and scratch the cover..
Was going to remove the tow hitch invetween using it for a bike rack but will leave it on now as cannot be doing with the faff. Nice piece of kit though and works well for towball racks. 👍

Attachments

• IMG_1356.jpeg
    IMG_1356.jpeg
    724 KB · Views: 67
Has anyone managed to remove the panel to fit the tow hitch without scratching it?? 😂 I even put tape around the screwdriver I used but still managed to slip and scratch the cover..
Was going to remove the tow hitch invetween using it for a bike rack but will leave it on now as cannot be doing with the faff. Nice piece of kit though and works well for towball racks. 👍
If you scratch the tow hitch cover no big deal. Can get replacements for around $12-14 USD on aliexpress.

Reactions: Davehhh
You need to invest in a set of plastic pry sticks. I've had that cover on and off many times with no marking. Start prying at the top edge about 4" to the right of center where there are no clips.

Reactions: Alonzo and Davehhh
I think I saw it here first on TMC, where someone created a tow hitch cover that magnetically fit to the receiver. With a handle on the outside, they would be able to remove and install the cover more easily. IIRC they broke off the tabs accidentally at first, and thus spiraled down the rabbit hole.

I had initially bought a set of the pry bars for the stock hitch cover in 2021, but it was still a pain to remove the stock cover with the pry bars.

I've bought this hitch cover from Ungødly Design in 2022, and it's been great. You can remove it and replace it in a few seconds.
Ungødly Design show's it out of stock right now on their site, but Amazon has them in stock here.

With all the thought and engineering that seems to go into every little aspect of the car, it amazes me that this part of the Y has not been redesigned.

The solution is clumsy at best and can be truly annoying at times.
The entire hitch system is an after thought. The new 16V system messed up a lot of things for the trailer connection, not sure if Tesla has a fix yet.

I had initially bought a set of the pry bars for the stock hitch cover in 2021, but it was still a pain to remove the stock cover with the pry bars.

I've bought this hitch cover from Ungødly Design in 2022, and it's been great. You can remove it and replace it in a few seconds.
Ungødly Design show's it out of stock right now on their site, but Amazon has them in stock here.

I also bought the Ungodly Designs hitch cover, it's magnetic. Comes off with just your finger.

I bought this and love it. Super easy to pop on and off.

I also have the magnetic aftermarket hitch cover. It is the way to go, easy to remove and matches the fit well.

Amazon has specific plastic pry bars to remove cover, and also magnetic covers to replace it and leave the hitch accessible.