Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tow Hitch

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does Tesla specify a tow rating for the M3? I can't imagine the dismal range you'd get on the highway. It's barely adequate without towing anything, so unless you'd tow in the city, it'd be useless IMO. Or for bicycles only.

Its not rated in the US. I imagine that might cause legal issues if you had an accident. Also warranty issues. Tesla would be able to see your excessive consumption instantly.

Guy online posted:

"Pulling a 2000 lbs Alto trailer with my Model 3 is easy but range is reduced by 40% at 100 km/h. Purchased from Stealth hitch for $837"

Tesla would be able to see your excessive consumption instantly.
Indeed, so you can pretty much kiss goodbye your power-train and chassis warranty if you tow without being allowed to. And no manufacturer can be held liable for towing accidents unless something on the car failed due to a manufacturer defect (and obviously within the towing limits). Many cars allow up to 1K-lbs of towing, including a 2019 Mustang Bullitt I have, which was unexpected, since it's a coupe, and manual. But the chassis and powertrain can take it.

And no manufacturer can be held liable for towing accidents unless something on the car failed due to a manufacturer defect (and obviously within the towing limits).

I meant legal issues for YOU. The car isn't rated for towing. If you start towing a 2500 lbs trailer and it jackknives out and someone gets killed, I wouldn't want to be in that position.

I kept hoping we see a tow hitch with upgrade option but I have given up hope.

Particularly with the y sr+ there now that has towing, the market has to be tiny for additional 3 sales as a result of the hitch that wouldn’t alternatively buy a y.