Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

towing a boat?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have any of you towed a boat or any sort of sizable trailer with your Y yet?

I've been searching youtube a bit and so far haven't found much of anything. Several of folks talking about the hitch, but not real world experience. The range question is of course interesting to me, but I'm not typically going very far from home so handling is probably more interesting to me.

I currently drive a silverado pickup, and really only use it as a truck only occasionally. once or twice a year to get some much or something, an occasional trip every few years when a clothes dryer or dishwasher or similar dies and I need a replacement
and an occasional trip towing our 18ft boat to the ramp. Don't do it often, but still... I really don't even know for sure how much it weights but planning to weight it soon. Guessing about 2,700# with about 300# tongue weight...so I'm fairly sure the Y will handle it.

awesome Spencer, thank you! First actual tow I've heard of!!

Any idea how much you boat and trailer weighs...ballpark?...or which model of alumicraft so I can look it up and estimate the trailer and engine weights?

I towed my boat up to the scales the other day... total weight boat, trailer, and engine is 2,920#... and that's full gas. Plenty of margin below the max weight spec I think. Sadly though the tongue weight is pushing up over the 350# spec limit. I'm not the least bit concerned about the power and torque in the tesla. The overall weight is low enough under the rated tow capacity that I'm fairly comfortable that t would tow ok...& not likely to be over the axle or GVWR spec's I would think. With less than full fuel and shuffling the load onboard the boat would get me pretty close on the tongue load I suppose, but still...it'll be pushing the limit

Compared to my old Silverado.... The Y's curb is right at 1,000# lighter than my silverado as it's typically loaded, and the wheelbase is about 30 inches shorter....
I know these things make a difference. For example, towing my little boat behind my silverado is pretty much like driving with no trailer at all. Can't even tell it's there...but towing with a smaller truck like the Nissan I had years ago, while safely withing its capacity you could feel the boat in ride quality, braking, etc...
so I'm really wondering...and hoping I suppose..... that the low CG and the stability control features in the car might help offset the shortcomings for towing.

awesome Spencer, thank you! First actual tow I've heard of!!

Any idea how much you boat and trailer weighs...ballpark?...or which model of alumicraft so I can look it up and estimate the trailer and engine weights?

I towed my boat up to the scales the other day... total weight boat, trailer, and engine is 2,920#... and that's full gas. Plenty of margin below the max weight spec I think. Sadly though the tongue weight is pushing up over the 350# spec limit. I'm not the least bit concerned about the power and torque in the tesla. The overall weight is low enough under the rated tow capacity that I'm fairly comfortable that t would tow ok...& not likely to be over the axle or GVWR spec's I would think. With less than full fuel and shuffling the load onboard the boat would get me pretty close on the tongue load I suppose, but still...it'll be pushing the limit

Compared to my old Silverado.... The Y's curb is right at 1,000# lighter than my silverado as it's typically loaded, and the wheelbase is about 30 inches shorter....
I know these things make a difference. For example, towing my little boat behind my silverado is pretty much like driving with no trailer at all. Can't even tell it's there...but towing with a smaller truck like the Nissan I had years ago, while safely withing its capacity you could feel the boat in ride quality, braking, etc...
so I'm really wondering...and hoping I suppose..... that the low CG and the stability control features in the car might help offset the shortcomings for towing.

The boat I towed is a 165CS with a Yamaha 50 on a Shorelander roll-on trailer. I have not weighed the combo, but I believe the boat is 900, add another 500 for motor, and 900 for the trailer ... so maybe around 2300 total. I had been using an Acura MDX to tow, and the Y performance is much better than that. So far have towed it 10 times/500 miles, with no issues ... the Y torque is great on the steep boat launch ramps.

thanks! that's actually an interesting data point comparison. Just looking online generically, it looks like an MDX has a towing capacity depending on how it's equipped to be at least equal to or a good bit more than the Y's 3,500#. Seems like the MDX has a similar wheelbase and weight too...and if your impression that it handles better behind the Y, then that's something. Your boat is just light enough compared to mine to give it a better margin under the Y's capacity, but still it's a little encouraging.

That looks like it would be a great boat, by the way!

ok, so I broadened my search and found this video
I know the X is a different animal than the Y.
Do all X's have air suspension?

but this is a big boat, and the weight on this one is at the max capacity he said, and is pretty close to the weight of the car. As a percentage, my boat isn't as large compared against the model Y. I didn't catch mention of his tongue weight, but it's bound to be heavy...that looks like a front heavy boat...and it looked like the X handled it well. Do you think that could be an illusion because of the air suspension?

side note - I rather enjoyed listening to Bjorn's accent and mannerisms. I used to work for a Swedish owned company and I traveled over there several times, visiting Norway and Finland a bit too. Anyway, brought up memories of old good friends.

Planning on towing my Lund 17’ boat as well. Should be about 3000 pounds total. Wouldn’t be going very far any more. Just a couple miles to the public access. But now I see the 20” wheels I order have a lower tow rating. What’s up with that when the 21” tires are back to the full 3500# rating??