Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Towing a golf cart on a trailer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I need to take my golf cart to our marina. Its a 145 mile drive. My 2021 X range shows 355ish (fully charged) when I leave. It usually takes around 50kwh and I have about 140ish miles left when I arrive. I've never towed anything longer than a few miles. Any advice on whether I'll make it and how much range I should have when I arrive?

Thanks,
Tim

I need to take my golf cart to our marina. Its a 145 mile drive. My 2021 X range shows 355ish (fully charged) when I leave. It usually takes around 50kwh and I have about 140ish miles left when I arrive. I've never towed anything longer than a few miles. Any advice on whether I'll make it and how much range I should have when I arrive?

Thanks,
Tim
Count on at least double the energy consumption. IOW it will be tight. Can you charge when you get there, or superchargers on the way? Keep in mind, you will likely have to unhook the trailer to supercharge. The energy graph will tell you pretty quickly whether you are going to make it.

Thanks,
Tim

How fast are you driving?

I'm typically at 80mph. I can definitely go slower when towing. I can hit a supercharger on the way. It would take my drive up to 167 miles.

I have a hookup at the marina, so I'm good once I get there.

I can take my wife's X5 45e if necessary, but would rather take the X.

Tim

I'm typically at 80mph. I can definitely go slower when towing. I can hit a supercharger on the way. It would take my drive up to 167 miles.

I have a hookup at the marina, so I'm good once I get there.

I can take my wife's X5 45e if necessary, but would rather take the X.

Tim

No idea what a cart weighs, but here is some data you can think about:
- towing max load open trailer at 55mph about 475 Wh/mi
- towing the unloaded trailer at 70 mph about 550 Wh/mi

Aerodynamics are the bigger challenge when it comes to towing range vs weight.

That said - I’d think you won’t have any trouble getting there. I’d probably expect about 600-650 wh/mi or so.

That’s just a guess - lots of variables here; speed, weather, inclines, etc.

But you definitely don’t want to be doing 80mph. That’s not very safe with a trailer behind you - if it starts to sway, it’ll get out of control, and fast. I’d rather see you stick to 65mph.