Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Towing a Model 3 with a Model X 320 Miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have to get my Model 3 from Riverton, Wyoming to Salt Lake for repair and thinking about putting it on a trailer and driving it Salt Lake today. It's less than 140 miles between superchargers. I have a X90D with 20 inch wheels. Any good guides on best way to strap down the Model 3 on a flatbed?

What is the exact question? See the manual for either car for how to secure Teslas on a rollback/flatbed. You use Tow mode, you secure the tires with straps over the tires not through the wheels, etc.

Is that the sort of thing you mean or am I missing something? :D

Riverton to Salt Lake is westward, beware of Wyoming headwinds cutting into your rated range.

Ask Tesla to pick up your car, if you are that far from a service center they should pick it up. We are 90 miles from our service center and they have done it several times for our Model X. They no longer trailer cars for free, but they will drive a loaner to your house and drive your car to the service center (assuming it's drivable). It's called Valet Service.

I had a ranger (Mobile Service) drop off a rental and pick up my car for transport to Denver in February — this because he couldn't get a replacement MCU in a timely fashion. If the car isn't driveable and is under warranty I'd let Mobile Service handle it. (I presume that the rangers handle Model 3 warranty service for free as they do with the Model S, although I'm not sure about that.)

You will be exceeding the tow rating of the Model X unless you're using a very light trailer. I would guess that towing 6000lbs for 140 miles would bring you very close to depleting the battery! Especially if it's uphill at all.

3,805lb Model 3 curb weight
Example aluminum trailers: http://www.aluminumtrailer.com/Media/Default/PDF/Brochures/ATC_Open Car Hauler Brochure.pdf
At best, 1,522lb for an 18' trailer.
So, the total weight would be above, the limit and _just_ above the limit for a Model 3 SR RWD.

Maybe one day they'll get there.

So, tired to rent a uhaul trailer. I put in the X and the 3 in the uhaul website, it said it was all compatible. It would have been bit over the weight limit, but it let me still make the reservation to pick it up. I when to the pickup site hooked it all up and wait for the store to open, they never opened and I had to get a refund. I ended up getting a 2nd driver to just drive the 3 over to Salt lake.

The model 3 had been wrecked into by a truck and the trunk needed some work, it was still driveable. Thanks for all the advice, I might try and tow it back from Salt Lake in 3 weeks. The question is how strict is the weight limit? What could brake? or is just a issue of limiting range?