Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Tow bar install

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm wanting to get a tow bar installed on my 2023 Model 3 to haul my bike on. From what I can tell we have no offical way to do this.
What are peoples experiences on this?
Looking at either - Removable Swan Neck Style Towbar for Tesla Model 3 2017-2023 Sedan or Tesla Model 3 Towbar

Definitely want it to look stock and doubt I will ever tow a trailer. Thought about the roof rack but bikes are heavy and I like the idea of having towing as an option.

I went down that path, explored options and gave up... as none options were doing software recognition part...

it might be totally worth reaching out service center and check with them... they already do it for Model Y as per following link:

you may get lucky and they do it for you... key benefit would be having Tow and towing recognition capability across updates over years....

I'm increasingly tempted now that the car is 4+ years old and a lot of the warranty is gone anyhow. I agree that the software is the main problem. There's a fairly useful facebook group specifically for non-official model 3 towbar fitting.

I'm tempted to ask Tesla if I can order this part from the parts catalog for my Model 3. It does say that it's an over the counter part...
1700615440245.png

I'm tempted to ask Tesla if I can order this part from the parts catalog for my Model 3. It does say that it's an over the counter part...
View attachment 992801
why not?

you never know unless ask for it...

I called Tesla and they were polite and understood but no there is no plan on the tow kit coming to NZ.
They did point me to a tow bar company on the North Shore - not an endorsement but did say to talk to them. I tried them (via googling Nth Shore Tesla tow bar) and came back with North Shore Towbars. Tried to call a couple of times with no reply.
Then called - Tesla Model 3 Towbars - Auckland Towbars and they were helpful. $1450 for hidden gooseneck with power cabling. I asked regarding sensors/computer and they said other installs have had no issues - just as long as the bike (in my case) didn't get in front of the sensors. A trailer could be a different thing entirely though. Out of interest I popped in to service mode to see if there was any secret setting to enable towing support but nothing.
Bonus points to Auckland Toward is they could do it next week - just before I drive my bike to Dunedin for the summer.
Will probably pull the pin and do it.

• Love
Reactions: Audietron
I called Tesla and they were polite and understood but no there is no plan on the tow kit coming to NZ.
They did point me to a tow bar company on the North Shore - not an endorsement but did say to talk to them. I tried them (via googling Nth Shore Tesla tow bar) and came back with North Shore Towbars. Tried to call a couple of times with no reply.
Then called - Tesla Model 3 Towbars - Auckland Towbars and they were helpful. $1450 for hidden gooseneck with power cabling. I asked regarding sensors/computer and they said other installs have had no issues - just as long as the bike (in my case) didn't get in front of the sensors. A trailer could be a different thing entirely though. Out of interest I popped in to service mode to see if there was any secret setting to enable towing support but nothing.
Bonus points to Auckland Toward is they could do it next week - just before I drive my bike to Dunedin for the summer.
Make your own mistakes or win your own battles.... others will follow you and learn from it. so share the final outcome.

I think the answer is that you just have to mute the sensors.

Update - found a rack that is happy on a 50mm European gooseneck @ EV Cycles, unfortunately it was $760 but I definitely preferable to bike heading off on its on on the motorway. Attached are some pics you all no doubt want to see.
Sensors don't beep unless in reverse but you do get a nice gull wing effect following you around at all times. Auto steer is still working and the bike itself isn't any wider than the car so other than the rear view camera being blocked its all bearable.

Attachments

• IMG_5034 Large.jpeg
    IMG_5034 Large.jpeg
    457 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_5039.jpeg
    IMG_5039.jpeg
    565.4 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_5035.jpeg
    IMG_5035.jpeg
    234.8 KB · Views: 38
Reactions: Ecoli