Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Towing range pre/post refresh

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is for anyone who has done towing with a Model X both pre- and post-refresh: how does the towing range compare? If you can describe your trailer and Model X configuration, that would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry if this is a duplicate but I did not find any threads on this.

Well it sucks pre refresh. My guess is the pre with 'h' battery will have better range as the rumors are the battery is about 4kwH bigger than newest. Sure latest gets almost the same EPA with smaller battery because of some efficiency gains. But add a trailer and aerodynamic the pair are out the window so the larger battery will give more real range.

My small 5 foot wide, 8 foot long, 400 lbs trailer kills range, and it's A SMALL trailer. 279 w/mile w/o jumps to over 500w/mile at 55 mph on the flat. Closer to 600 w/mile so almost 2x energy usage.
Trailer does have a 3 foot leading side gate and 1 foot tall walls on the other 3 sides. But still a small trailer in my mind.

Reactions: gglockner
This is for anyone who has done towing with a Model X both pre- and post-refresh: how does the towing range compare? If you can describe your trailer and Model X configuration, that would be greatly appreciated.

Given how few refreshed Model X have been delivered, and how only a very small fraction of all Model X owners tow an RV trailer, I think it will be awhile before you see some useful information.

But since the EPA ratings are essentially the same, I doubt there is a significant difference.

The best way to compare is not to focus on range numbers but instead look at Wh/mi numbers when towing at a steady speed on a level dry road with no headwind with the same trailer shape.

My small 5 foot wide, 8 foot long, 400 lbs trailer kills range, and it's A SMALL trailer. 279 w/mile w/o jumps to over 500w/mile at 55 mph on the flat. Closer to 600 w/mile so almost 2x energy usage.
Trailer does have a 3 foot leading side gate and 1 foot tall walls on the other 3 sides. But still a small trailer in my mind.
I assume your trailer has all square corners with an open top. That produces a huge amount of air resistance and turbulence even though it is not wider or taller than your tow vehicle. Aerodynamically speaking, it’s a disaster.

When towing my RV trailer, which is much taller than my X, at 55mph on a level dry road with no headwind I get about 380-420Wh/mi. An Airstream style trailer of the same size, with fully rounded corners all around, would use somewhat less energy at 55mph (it would use more energy at slower speeds due to its greater weight so increased rolling resistance).

6CCEDF61-69BF-4FD0-AD27-3DE36ABFBF84.jpeg

Too many factors, but the biggest is speed. Easy rule of thumb is range loss of 50%.