Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TPMS Failure?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Pruitt

Pontificating the obvious
Jun 27, 2014
Casper WY
I just had my original set of tires replaced on my 2016 90D. 70,000 miles - pretty good tire life!

My problem - after replacing the tires with new Michelins, the right rear tire is losing air at a rate between 3 and 10(!) pounds per day. I've had it back into the shop three times, and they say it is not the tire or the stem. They've replaced the stem and sealing ring a couple of times, so they're suggesting the TPMS may have corroded or cracked, and is allowing the leak (it would still come out the stem though, right? It HAS to be coming out somewhere that should be visible with a soapy water test).

Are replacement sensors available? They couldn't find one listed at their usual sources (NAPA, etc.). Any thoughts?

I just had my original set of tires replaced on my 2016 90D. 70,000 miles - pretty good tire life!

My problem - after replacing the tires with new Michelins, the right rear tire is losing air at a rate between 3 and 10(!) pounds per day. I've had it back into the shop three times, and they say it is not the tire or the stem. They've replaced the stem and sealing ring a couple of times, so they're suggesting the TPMS may have corroded or cracked, and is allowing the leak (it would still come out the stem though, right? It HAS to be coming out somewhere that should be visible with a soapy water test).

Are replacement sensors available? They couldn't find one listed at their usual sources (NAPA, etc.). Any thoughts?
Sensors are widely available. I got one from the America’s Tire where I usually buy tires. Sounds like your tire shop may be sub-standard.