Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Problems inflating MY tires at Costco

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just took delivery of MYLR and noted with the decrease in temperature that my tire pressures were below the recommended range. I went to Costco as they have the auto nitrogen tire inflators and thought that would not be a problem to inflate the tires. I did not take off the OEM aero tire wheel caps. I noted that it was very difficult to use the tire inflator at Costco. I ended up accidentally purging 20 pounds of pressure from my tire as it was leaking and I could not get the device to attach correctly. Does anyone else have this problem trying to fill the air at Costco? I suspect after looking at where the tire stem is that I cannot get the tire Inflator deep enough. When I went home to use my own air compressor, I really had to turn the attachment tight in order to get a good seal on the tire. Thanks in advance.
tesla newbie

I often use the Costco tire inflation station in both my Model Y and Model 3. I have never had significant difficulty with them. Maybe the attachments are different with the ones that you used.
So you’re able to do it without removing the aero wheel covers? I seem to have problems with it because the adapter as I’m trying to push on it would be pushing against the wheel cover and there did not seem to be enough room to get it attached deep enough.

You can carry a valve stem extender. I had this exact problem after putting the MagBak RimCases on my MYP Uberturbines. Now it is actually impossible to inflate the tires with my portable 12v inflater since it has that type of "over the valve stem" connector with the toggle on the top to tighten it instead of the screw on type. Keeping a valve stem extender in the box with my portable inflater solved that problem.

I just took delivery of MYLR and noted with the decrease in temperature that my tire pressures were below the recommended range. I went to Costco as they have the auto nitrogen tire inflators and thought that would not be a problem to inflate the tires. I did not take off the OEM aero tire wheel caps. I noted that it was very difficult to use the tire inflator at Costco. I ended up accidentally purging 20 pounds of pressure from my tire as it was leaking and I could not get the device to attach correctly. Does anyone else have this problem trying to fill the air at Costco? I suspect after looking at where the tire stem is that I cannot get the tire Inflator deep enough. When I went home to use my own air compressor, I really had to turn the attachment tight in order to get a good seal on the tire. Thanks in advance.
tesla newbie

just pop the covers off. I just did this with my winter wheels on sunday

I had a flat recently, so I repaired my tire at home and put ambient air to refill my tire.

When visiting Costco recently, I decided to replace the air with Nitrogen to be consistent with the other tires,
So I first deflated the tire who had a flat, to may be 10 or 15 PSI, and then tried to use the Costco pump.

But the pump didn't start. One Costco employee who was just walking by, told me to start using the pump
with a wheel who was not deflated, to allow the pump to start, and then disconnect the hose and plug it
to the deflated tire. In fact this trick worked, and I was able to refill my deflated tire with Nitrogen.

I am not sure to understand why the pump would not start with a deflated tire.
I wonder if anyone may have any idea or previous experience about this issue.

I had a flat recently, so I repaired my tire at home and put ambient air to refill my tire.

When visiting Costco recently, I decided to replace the air with Nitrogen to be consistent with the other tires,
So I first deflated the tire who had a flat, to may be 10 or 15 PSI, and then tried to use the Costco pump.

But the pump didn't start. One Costco employee who was just walking by, told me to start using the pump
with a wheel who was not deflated, to allow the pump to start, and then disconnect the hose and plug it
to the deflated tire. In fact this trick worked, and I was able to refill my deflated tire with Nitrogen.

I am not sure to understand why the pump would not start with a deflated tire.
I wonder if anyone may have any idea or previous experience about this issue.

Because otherwise it would be constantly pumping air. Slight backpressure allows the unit to calculate whether it should add air, or stop.

• Informative
Reactions: Jedisparky
So you’re able to do it without removing the aero wheel covers? I seem to have problems with it because the adapter as I’m trying to push on it would be pushing against the wheel cover and there did not seem to be enough room to get it attached deep enough.
Yep, I have no problem using the Costco Nitrogen stations with my Model Y without taking the covers off.

I wonder if someone try using a 4 Way Tire Inflation hose allowing to gett all the tires inflated at the same time with the same pressure?
Because the Tesla display screen often shows different values after inflating my tires.

4 Way Tire Inflation hose 01.jpg

I wonder if someone try using a 4 Way Tire Inflation hose allowing to gett all the tires inflated at the same time with the same pressure?
The issue that I noticed was that the Tesla display screen often shows different values after inflating my tires.

View attachment 998645

Why? Use a handheld pressure gauge and bleed the air down. You aren't going to be able to tell the difference driving around town.

Why? Use a handheld pressure gauge and bleed the air down. You aren't going to be able to tell the difference driving around town.

Just some kind of OCD, I have a digital gauge and I always adjust all my tires the same pressure manually,
but the Tesla Display has no decimal extra digit, so it is quite rare to have the same values displayed on my screen....

Just some kind of OCD, I have a digital gauge and I always adjust all my tires the same pressure manually,
but the Tesla Display has no decimal extra digit, so it is quite rare to have the same values displayed on my screen....

TPMS is designed for a change in pressure, not necessarily the a absolute pressure. TPMS has maybe +/- 2-3% accuracy. Use the handheld, not the TPMS.

Reactions: AlexHung