Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TPMS mystery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So my TPMS error message came on with my 2013 P85, went to townfaire and confirmed one sensor is dead. Problem is, I know there's an issue with pairing new baolong sensors to this system, as that's what Tesla has tried in the past with my other set of winter wheels. Even with (not continental) new sensors, the module doesn't read them. Tesla wants to replace the whole system and switch to continental, but it's hard to justify that when these other sensors have worked up until this one died.
So what I'm thinking is I need to find another set of the sensor from the below picture that was pulled from my wheels. It looks like there's some used ones online, but none new. Maybe this is just the only sensor that will still pair to my oem sensor reader? Anyone else have this issue or want to sell me their old- not dead sensors?
16845049419571583424248786798885.jpg

They have permanently installed batteries that have a 5-10 year lifespan, apparently. Any used ones would have an unknown, probably quite short, amount of life left in them.

That said, I'm going to take a couple old sensors apart and see what the likelyhood of changing the batteries really is. There may be a way to re-manufacture them (which might only be discovered after destroying several first. I'll start with non-tesla less rare sensors, I have an old set from an Outback I don't own anymore). Low chance of success, but a fun challenge either way.

They have permanently installed batteries that have a 5-10 year lifespan, apparently. Any used ones would have an unknown, probably quite short, amount of life left in them.

That said, I'm going to take a couple old sensors apart and see what the likelyhood of changing the batteries really is. There may be a way to re-manufacture them (which might only be discovered after destroying several first. I'll start with non-tesla less rare sensors, I have an old set from an Outback I don't own anymore). Low chance of success, but a fun challenge either way.
That would be a cool project. Maybe if I get another working set I'll take these apart and figure out if that's possible too.

Reactions: OxBrew