Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TPMS sensors not working after new tire install

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had new winter tires that I purchased from Tesla installed today at a local service center.

On the 60 min drive from work, I received the error message: Tire pressure monitoring system fault. Sensors unable to measure tire pressure.

I couldn’t access the TPMS settings while driving, so when I stopped, I had two options: TPMS Factory Reset or a Learn New Pressures.

I tried the learning on a 5 min drive but an arrow just kept circling. I contacted the SC and they said to do a minimum 20 minute drive. I drove for an hour, but I’m still getting the error. I attached the detailed error screen with what appears to be an error code. I sent to the service assistant, but never heard back.

Do I need to do a factory reset or does it need to back to the service center?

Attachments

• E704FBEB-3A0F-4131-8330-71A0D9958112.jpeg
    E704FBEB-3A0F-4131-8330-71A0D9958112.jpeg
    76.6 KB · Views: 193
I had new winter tires that I purchased from Tesla installed today at a local service center.

Were the new tires on a different set of wheels with new sensors ? I'm only asking, because I got a second set of wheels/tires/TPMS and it took a while for the car to recognize the sensors. I contacted the seller and he said the reason was the cold weather. The car eventually did recognize the sensors, but it took a while (2 days in my case)...

Were the new tires on a different set of wheels with new sensors ?

Yes, there were new wheels and sensors. We did have record high temps for N. Illinois, but maybe that could be considered cold in some places.

I did get a message back from Tesla that they were going to try to get a mobile service tech out to me. He said maybe the sensor ID's were entered incorrectly, but now that you mention your experience, I think I had the same issue with new tires/wheels/sensors on a Jeep I had previously. Maybe they will work tomorrow... (fingers crossed)

Yes, there were new wheels and sensors. We did have record high temps for N. Illinois, but maybe that could be considered cold in some places.

I did get a message back from Tesla that they were going to try to get a mobile service tech out to me. He said maybe the sensor ID's were entered incorrectly, but now that you mention your experience, I think I had the same issue with new tires/wheels/sensors on a Jeep I had previously. Maybe they will work tomorrow... (fingers crossed)

Out of curiosity, what was the record temp for N. Illinois ? My new wheels/tires/TPMS were installed the beginning of the month on a day with heavy rain and wind and the temps were about 35 F. I kept getting the spinning arrow as well and thought my sensors were bad. The next day, the sun came out and warmed to 60F and the car recognized the sensors in less than 1.5 miles. The TPMS seller told me cold weather wreaks havoc on the sensors and said if I googled cold weather+TPMS I would see multiple posts about it. Good Luck !!!

Out of curiosity, what was the record temp for N. Illinois ?

We were in the 60’s yesterday which felt like spring.

Today, we were back to the 30’s. The error was still showing this morning. I tried the relearn process and within a few miles, I got a message to confirm a new wheel configuration. So it sensed I had new wheels or at least new sensors.

In another 5-10 miles, it registered the sensors, so everything is fine now. Similar to your story, but opposite on the temps.

I have original Tesla 2013 wheels, replaced several senors. All was fine. Bought winter set late 2018, installed, pushed Reset, it worked fine.
Last April I switched back to summer, worked fine. Along comes v9 software. In Oct I switched winter set. BINGO. TPMS REST GONE from my Service options. Gone, not on screen. I went to SC, man says all 4 r bad. I go to tire shop. He reads them, I take pictures of them. Go back to SC, he says they are bad. I go home, change set. They will not reset either. The option is gone.
I've called help desk. I have 4 open tickets, no fix. [email protected] is gone, they told me to just touch Reset. I sent them pictures, now they went dark on us.
A guy said on other post the SC told him $1500 for complete new system. Antennas, software, etc. Another posted picture of new screen shot.
You guys with old cars (gen 1), go see if all of you have TPMS Reset still on options?