Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TPMS Warning Reset Means Vehicle Reboot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Padelford

Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2017
Seattle
I'm on 2020.24.6.4.

Got a deflating left front tire Monday, got the vehicle home & had the tire repaired. The TPMS low-pressure warning message came up on the driver display. After getting the tire fixed & properly inflated, the manual states that one needs to drive for > 10 minutes to restore TPMS readings from the tire, but the TPMS under-inflation warning would not go away after about 20 min of driving. The tire pressure was reading on the driver display after about 8 minutes of driving.

Called Tesla, they said the only way to reset the TPMS under-inflation warning is to completely power cycle the vehicle. This I did, and the message did go away. This isn't documented in the manual AFAIK.

This is ridiculous. We shouldn't have to completely power cycle the vehicle to resolve a TPMS warning message. On my 2013 Audi, there's a TPMS reset feature that's easy to access in the Multi Media Interface (MMI).

I'm on 2020.24.6.4.

Got a deflating left front tire Monday, got the vehicle home & had the tire repaired. The TPMS low-pressure warning message came up on the driver display. After getting the tire fixed & properly inflated, the manual states that one needs to drive for > 10 minutes to restore TPMS readings from the tire, but the TPMS under-inflation warning would not go away after about 20 min of driving. The tire pressure was reading on the driver display after about 8 minutes of driving.

Called Tesla, they said the only way to reset the TPMS under-inflation warning is to completely power cycle the vehicle. This I did, and the message did go away. This isn't documented in the manual AFAIK.

This is ridiculous. We shouldn't have to completely power cycle the vehicle to resolve a TPMS warning message. On my 2013 Audi, there's a TPMS reset feature that's easy to access in the Multi Media Interface (MMI).

Actually there used to be a TPMS reset function in the console. But it was removed some time ago, in favor of an automatic system. I am guessing when they added wheel configuration changing to a user facing option. Normally automatic works fine. A simple reboot (two thumb salute) might have been enough. Don't really know, never had the problem myself. But a pretty simple fix in any event.

Hi Padelford,

The process is quirky and you do not necessarily have to completely power cycle the car to correct it.

My experience was one tire with 2 screws and a nail.
The tire shop repaired all of the holes.
They apologized because their "reset" procedure for Model X did not work...
It still showed the low pressure and low pressure warning.

Like you I drove across town with the low pressure warning and a low pressure reading.
The pressure reading corrected like yours after a few minutes of driving.
No amount of driving will reset the low pressure warning...

The car needs to be started in a normal pressure situation.
So when I stopped at my next stop the tire pressure readout showed the correct tire pressure
in red characters and it showed the low pressure warning even with the tire pressure correct.

I stopped the car, turned it off, and visited the merchant.
When I returned and started the car the correct tire pressure was now in white letters and the low pressure
warning was gone...

Two step procedure...

Shawn

When my 19 LR was delivered in May, one tire was in low pressure, after inflating it and driving around, the warning message refused to go away, what I did was going to the menu and choose the correct wheel/tire size (20” in my case), and TPMS was reset after another drove around.