Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Track Day: Chuckwalla CCW

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just ran my first track day with my new P3D+ and have to say I was very impressed. Ran the car completely stock as I wanted to get a feel for how it was from the factory. Quickly overheated everything but that was no surprise.

First session at 7:30 am the track was already 90 degrees, by session 2 it was in the low 100's. Didn't participate in 3 and 4 but session 4 peaked at 120, one of the hottest days recorded at Desert Center. For how hot it was I think the car did great although I dont really have any other reference point.

There is a 14-50 outlet in the paddock so my plan was to run ~5-7 laps every session and try to recoup as much as possible in between but it didn't quite go as planned. First session I was having so much fun I ran all 20-25 mins of it and burned through about 60% of my battery. Car was too hot afterwards that it didn't start charging until after about 20 mins of cooling at which point it could only charge for 40 more minutes before my next session. I tried to charge again after running only 5 laps in sesions 2 but my car tripped the breaker to the main building and was told not to charge there anymore. At this point I only had 35 miles of range left and the nearest supercharger was 52 miles away. I filled up a bit at a ChargePoint (for 2.5 hrs at 13mi/hr) until I could make it to the nearest supercharger in Indio.

For those in SoCal interested in visting Chuckwalla I'm not sure if I can recommend it because of the charging situation. Maybe if it wasn't so hot I wouldn't have tripped the circuit but even then you can only get in maybe 5-8 laps every session. The nearest supercharger is in Indio 52 miles away and was also completely full when I got there. Maybe you could run session 1, drive to SC, top off, run session 3, charge at the 14-50 and then run a few laps in session 4 but that seems like quite a hassle, especially when most of the other SoCal tracks have a supercharger <20 miles away.

Anyway very excited for this car. Already got coilovers and sways waiting to be installed with more track focused upgrades planned. I have a dedicated track/autocross car but I may put her aside for a while and try and hit all the tracks around me in my Tesla first.

My best Chuckwalla CCW lap, 2:12.

Awesome. Nice driving, looks like a blast! I have yet to take my P3D+ to a track or autocross, but hope to soon. I plan to start with autocross as charging at most tracks seems like a pain. I wish more tracks would embrace EVs, or Tesla would start adding Superchargers to more tracks like they did at the Nurburgring.

Totally agree with you, wish more tracks had a charging station. I feel like there are enough EV's out there to justify it. Also love how Telsa installed one 'secretly' at nurburgring haha. A autocross day is next for me as well.

There is a 14-50 outlet in the paddock
Where is the 14-50 outlet? Is there just one? I'd like to try Chuckwalla out. While I understand the temptation to run full sessions I think the only way to go out there is to do one to two hot laps max per session with 14-50 charge in between throughout the day, then rull as long as you dare on the last session to make it to the Supercharger on the way home.

The 14-50 is right behind the office/conference room in the middle of the paddock. It is outside to the northwest corner. It seems like its on the same circuit as the rest of that mobile office which is why it tripped. Another charging option is the RV park nearby that has 240v outlets. Haven't tried this yet but might be doable.

The 14-50 is right behind the office/conference room in the middle of the paddock. It is outside to the northwest corner. It seems like its on the same circuit as the rest of that mobile office which is why it tripped. Another charging option is the RV park nearby that has 240v outlets. Haven't tried this yet but might be doable.
Thanks. I am considering staying at that RV park to fully charge the night before, but wasn't sure if I'd be able to get back there easily between sessions. It looks close on the map, but not sure how long it would actually take.