Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Track Mode" Exclusive to $5k Performance Package? Or all Performance TM3 will receive?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's only for the 5k package due to the intense use of brakes, Elon mentioned this months ago.
That makes no sense. My aftermarket brakes are way better than the 5K package so why restrict it. Some of use bought the P without the 5K upgrade on purpose because we wanted better lighter wheels and better brakes and suspension than what Tesla provided for 5K.

Reactions: Petra and Big Earl
That makes no sense. My aftermarket brakes are way better than the 5K package so why restrict it. Some of use bought the P without the 5K upgrade on purpose because we wanted better lighter wheels and better brakes and suspension than what Tesla provided for 5K.

The problem is Tesla has no way to certify a car post purchase.

I don't disagree with you, just stating a devils advocate reason.

Autocross doesn't really need big brakes but definitely benefits from disabling of stability and traction control. It sounds like there will soon be a third party solution for disabling traction and stability control from Mountain Pass Performance. It will be interesting to see if track mode is actually better than just having everything off.

How does having more mass and surface area on the front brakes not make sense to you? All your upgraded brake pads are doing is raising the threshold at which they operate...a bandaid solution at best and much more dangerous one if you dont realize your boiling your fluid and have your pedal go to the floor at the end of a 130mph straight(I've done it before and it's not fun)....let alone the additional wear and tear on hydraulics and seals due to the higher heat being conducted through the system... so in the offchance you do have an equivalent capacity braking system...its not teslas job to verify that and then allow you to use the option. Otherwise they risk higher warranty claims of pretty expensive and safety critical braking system components if inferior builds have the feature. Their job is to make things idiot proof and keep out of courtrooms while providing a profitable product. Remember Tesla did not promise track mode in your non upgrades order therefore they dont have to give it to you and every car that has used it has been a upgraded package car.

Lol I saw it somewhere quoted and have no interest in spending time finding it as I'm in the clear. but you can go and look for yourself with Google.

I didn't make the claim so the burden is on you. I do know we had no idea that Track Mode even existed months ago, like you claimed, so I don't see how that's possible. If you can't site your sources than you have no ground to stand on and should stop voicing your opinion as fact.

Plus, we have the Road and Track review that talked about how Track Mode was more about regenerative braking changes than regular braking.

"Neumeyer and team programed the vehicle dynamic control system in-house to make Track Mode possible. This mode pushes the margins of stability control farther away. (Note: Track Mode does not alter acceleration performance; the Model 3 Performance does not have a launch mode or Ludicrous acceleration setting.) But more importantly, it does some tricky things with the car's regenerative braking."

Tesla Model 3 Performance: Track Test

Reactions: Perry and MP3Mike
How does having more mass and surface area on the front brakes not make sense to you? All your upgraded brake pads are doing is raising the threshold at which they operate...a bandaid solution at best and much more dangerous one if you dont realize your boiling your fluid and have your pedal go to the floor at the end of a 130mph straight(I've done it before and it's not fun)....let alone the additional wear and tear on hydraulics and seals due to the higher heat being conducted through the system... so in the offchance you do have an equivalent capacity braking system...its not teslas job to verify that and then allow you to use the option. Otherwise they risk higher warranty claims of pretty expensive and safety critical braking system components if inferior builds have the feature. Their job is to make things idiot proof and keep out of courtrooms while providing a profitable product. Remember Tesla did not promise track mode in your non upgrades order therefore they dont have to give it to you and every car that has used it has been a upgraded package car.
I think you misunderstood what I said. By aftermarket brakes I meant new large rotors to dissipate heat from Mountain Pass which are better than Tesla's 5K upgrade. Nice monoblock light forged 19" rims that are way better than Tesla's heavy cast 20"s and better coil-overs. My point is that it makes no sense not to allow track mode on performance M3's without the 5K upgrade when the whole reason some of us have not upgraded is because we desire even better performance brakes, wheels, and suspension then Tesla offers.

Anyway if Tesla does not allow base performance models to have track mode, I am sure aftermarket solutions to disable all the assists will become available. I saw no reason to pay 5K only to then have to get rid of everything that came with the 5K upgrade because I want better.

Last edited:
Reactions: Petra