Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trade Idea: A Weekend in My Luxury NYC Apartment for Your Tesla Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Greetings! I hope this is the right place to post this idea. If not, please berate me.

I live in lower Manhattan in a beautiful, new, one bedroom high-rise apartment with an amazing view of the city and the empire state building. I often go away on the weekends and rent cars from owners, including a Tesla or two, using Relay Rides. A few weeks ago a rental transaction turned into a trade - the owner stayed in my apartment, and I used his car. No money was exchanged. It was amazing.

The idea: I'm now looking to build a network of other people interested in doing this. People who want to come to NYC on weekends now and again and stay in an awesome apartment, in exchange for me using their car. Ideally it's someone who travels here often, so we can build trust. There are also ways to take care of car insurance (and home insurance for me).

Tesla Model S is obviously my favorite car, so I thought I'd start with posting this idea here. Does anyone find this interesting?

Well let's run some comps.

I could rent a Ferrari 458 in NYC for three days, and that would set me back $4,950 with a $7,500 refundable deposit. There are exotics that are more and some that are less. Or I could rent a MB S550 for $1,295 with a $5K deposit. Not that it's especially appealing, but that's the lower end at Dream Cars, a short term high end car rental site.

Glancing at AirBNB, I could find a West Village triplex (sleeps 6) for $300 per night, plus $80 cleaning fee.

Anyway, if you get any takers, LMK. My full service building has a pool, gym, rock climbing wall, tennis bubble and private playground. I'll give it up for a weekend with your Model S, for sure! Hell I'll even throw in theater tickets, we have a closed group discount drama desk. You guys wanna be stuck downtown or in the middle of midtown? Egg zactly! My PM box is wide open, folks.

If this works out I might just skip ordering a 70D. I was only going to use it on the weekends anyway!

Both of your posts have me quite curious about this idea of trading Model S's for a place to stay in the city. I've been doing a bit of research about the ride sharing companies (like Relay Rides), but I see that they would only be insuring if you book through them (paying cash and giving them 25%). So, that brings up my big question...if one were to go through and, without a service like Relay Rides, trade a Model S for an apartment, how would insurance work? Additionally, how would it work in terms of determining scratches, dents, worn tires, etc. before and after the "trade"?

Greetings! I hope this is the right place to post this idea. If not, please berate me.

I live in lower Manhattan in a beautiful, new, one bedroom high-rise apartment with an amazing view of the city and the empire state building. I often go away on the weekends and rent cars from owners, including a Tesla or two, using Relay Rides. A few weeks ago a rental transaction turned into a trade - the owner stayed in my apartment, and I used his car. No money was exchanged. It was amazing.

The idea: I'm now looking to build a network of other people interested in doing this. People who want to come to NYC on weekends now and again and stay in an awesome apartment, in exchange for me using their car. Ideally it's someone who travels here often, so we can build trust. There are also ways to take care of car insurance (and home insurance for me).

Tesla Model S is obviously my favorite car, so I thought I'd start with posting this idea here. Does anyone find this interesting?
I'll take you up on a weekend - you can use my Model S... but it's in Canada :tongue:

Good idea - and good luck :)

I could rent a Ferrari 458 in NYC for three days, and that would set me back $4,950 with a $7,500 refundable deposit. There are exotics that are more and some that are less. Or I could rent a MB S550 for $1,295 with a $5K deposit. Not that it's especially appealing, but that's the lower end at Dream Cars, a short term high end car rental site.

Glancing at AirBNB, I could find a West Village triplex (sleeps 6) for $300 per night, plus $80 cleaning fee.

Anyway, if you get any takers, LMK. My full service building has a pool, gym, rock climbing wall, tennis bubble and private playground. I'll give it up for a weekend with your Model S, for sure! Hell I'll even throw in theater tickets, we have a closed group discount drama desk. You guys wanna be stuck downtown or in the middle of midtown? Egg zactly! My PM box is wide open, folks.

If this works out I might just skip ordering a 70D. I was only going to use it on the weekends anyway!

For more comparable math, check out how much Teslas are going for on Relay Rides and Get Around. Typically around $250-$350 per day. I rented this one in LA a couple of months ago and it was amazing. Getaround is doing a ton with Telsas in San Franciso and elsewhere. I've done my research - this is def comparable my NYC aparment on AirBNB (and maybe yours too!).

- - - Updated - - -

Both of your posts have me quite curious about this idea of trading Model S's for a place to stay in the city. I've been doing a bit of research about the ride sharing companies (like Relay Rides), but I see that they would only be insuring if you book through them (paying cash and giving them 25%). So, that brings up my big question...if one were to go through and, without a service like Relay Rides, trade a Model S for an apartment, how would insurance work? Additionally, how would it work in terms of determining scratches, dents, worn tires, etc. before and after the "trade"?

I've thought this part through. You can rent the car at a very low price, say $10 per day, but pay full price for the insurance. I could technically do the same with AirBnb but I have solid renters insurance.

Alternatively, some auto insurance plans cover other drivers, so you wouldn't need Relay Rides at all.

- - - Updated - - -

I'll take you up on a weekend - you can use my Model S... but it's in Canada :tongue:

Good idea - and good luck :)

Time for a nice road trip to NYC?

boerum, if you ever visit DC, I'll let you drive my 70D :)

boerum, if you ever visit DC, I'll let you drive my 70D :)

We're taking the kids in July. Here's what we should do: we'll take the Acela to D.C. and use your place and your 70D. You take the Acela to Manhattan and use my place and my MTA metrocard. Oh, you're bringing your gf. OK, we'll leave you two metrocards.

Plus theater tickets. Don't forget we're offering free B'way shows. ;)

The way I understand this (and it's not a legally checked nor binding statement!) is that if I give permission to a friend of mine to drive my car, and they wreck it, their insurance is primary on any loss, and my insurance is secondary. This basically means that if they wreck the car, their insurance pays. If for some reason they are un/under-insured, my insurance pays the balance. OF COURSE you should check with your own insurance company, but a friend of mine actually works as an adjuster for my insurance carrier, so I have these sorts of what-if conversations with him all the time.

I'm also relatively sure that if you're "renting" the car instead of "letting them borrow" the car, it becomes a commercial transaction and now a whole different set of rules apply.