Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trade In on Old Car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Greetings!

First time poster here! I have tried using the search box, but I have not found the answer to my question. Sorry in advance if I am not posting this is the right spot, but I couldn't find a better place.

I am interested in trading in my car through the Tesla trade-in program and using the income toward a Tesla. I have tried checking the valuation calculator that is on the Tesla page, but it does not recognize my VIN. I think the problem is that it is set to accept only 17-digit alphanumeric VINs that became standard in 1981.

I have emailed the company and had no reply.

Is there a company policy that says Tesla will not accept old cars for trade-ins? My car is the 1961 Mercedes 190SL which is in good shape and is a blast to drive. But as much as I like my roadster, I think it is time to get a more reliable daily driver.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Attachments

• 190SL - Apr 2019.JPG
    190SL - Apr 2019.JPG
    636.7 KB · Views: 123
I've traded in two old cars (11 and 16 years old), and one used car (5 years old) when purchasing new Tesla's. What you have is a classic car, not an old car.

Not an expert, but from what you read on this forum, Tesla's trade-in dept acts as an extension of the used car industry, and since Tesla doesn't sell used non-Tesla's they basically get bids from the wholesale part of the used car industry. I could only expect that the industry would value your car as an old car, not a classic car, meaning it's maybe worth $20, say $25 because it's in excellent condition.

Having owned a classic 60's car in the past, I think you'll find your value in the classic car market, which is pretty different from the used car industry, and therefore don't want to trade it in to Tesla.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
I've traded in two old cars (11 and 16 years old), and one used car (5 years old) when purchasing new Tesla's. What you have is a classic car, not an old car.

Not an expert, but from what you read on this forum, Tesla's trade-in dept acts as an extension of the used car industry, and since Tesla doesn't sell used non-Tesla's they basically get bids from the wholesale part of the used car industry. I could only expect that the industry would value your car as an old car, not a classic car, meaning it's maybe worth $20, say $25 because it's in excellent condition.

Having owned a classic 60's car in the past, I think you'll find your value in the classic car market, which is pretty different from the used car industry, and therefore don't want to trade it in to Tesla.

Almost ten seconds after I hit POST on my message, my phone rang, and it was a Tesla agent calling me back in reply to my email. He said what you do: Tesla is really just the middle man between you and those car auction places. He said that they COULD do a one-off review to come up with a price that isn't JUST a depreciation of the car's original sales price (about $5000 in 1961). But he said that because the ultimate buyer from Tesla of all those trade ins aren't set up for it, that is where the problem would arise. He said selling it privately would get a higher price.

Reactions: Rg3500 and KenC
Almost ten seconds after I hit POST on my message, my phone rang, and it was a Tesla agent calling me back in reply to my email. He said what you do: Tesla is really just the middle man between you and those car auction places. He said that they COULD do a one-off review to come up with a price that isn't JUST a depreciation of the car's original sales price (about $5000 in 1961). But he said that because the ultimate buyer from Tesla of all those trade ins aren't set up for it, that is where the problem would arise. He said selling it privately would get a higher price.

At least they were up front with you about it. Thats a win, in my book.

Reactions: Rg3500