Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trade in process at delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve accepted a trade in offer for my old ICE car. Just curious the process at delivery from those that have experienced it. I’m in Brisbane. Do they do a thorough inspection and take it for a test drive with me or just check the odometer and spend little time on it.

Also, do they swap plates (non-personalised), or would I just get assigned new plates on the Y that I ordered?

For me in Alexandria the process took less than 1 minute. They wanted to see the two keys, the odometer, the stamped service record book and did a quick look around the car. They then sent me to the counter to pick up my Model Y.

Reactions: partyhat
For me in Alexandria the process took less than 1 minute. They wanted to see the two keys, the odometer, the stamped service record book and did a quick look around the car. They then sent me to the counter to pick up my Model Y.
Thanks, so they didn’t even start the car up and run it, just turned on ignition to check odometer?

Is this trade-in applicable if I am novating a lease for the Tesla?
I’m getting a novated lease. My leasing company advised it’s actioned as two separate transactions as lease company has to pay the full retail price. Trade in price would be transferred to you.

• Informative
Reactions: bsbh
Thanks, so they didn’t even start the car up and run it, just turned on ignition to check odometer?
My experience was exactly the same as aceon's. Remember, all Tesla are doing for trade-ins is bundling them together and shipping them off to a wholesale broker such as Pickles etc - they're not doing anything else.

Provided the vehicle matches, you drive it in, and the condition/mileage matches what you've listed, and you have both keys etc, there's nothing to be concerned about.

Yes, Tesla pay you for the trade in about 2 weeks after pickup and the NL company pays for the Tesla in full.
Took 1 min checked ODO no big damage all done.

For Lease yes you need to give them your banking details took almost 3 weeks for me.
Then I got a call from the US to confirm..
Which I ghosted thinking it was a spam call.. Then got an email Tesla tried calling :)

My Audi A7 needed over $4K in radiator related work and was leaking like no one’s business. Take just took the keys and looked and the odometer. They even gave me more than I could get anywhere else. I got one hell of a lucky trade in.

I took delivery at home, so they just checked the odometer and out my old car on the delivery truck. Do note, though, that Tesla reserve the right to adjust the trade-in value (downwards, of course) if something on the car doesn't match the way you represented it to them.

They want the car to be empty (nothing rattling around to cause damage). They don't pay for any accessories you include, but I tied down my old roof rails in the boot because I didn't expect to be able to be able to sell them, and figured I would rather they went to someone else to use.