Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trade in

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My experience getting rid of my 2013 BMW 328i in preparation for taking delivery of my Tesla:

1) Tesla trade-in offer was about $9700
2) Carmax offer was $10k
3) givemethevin.com offer was $11k (after I negotiated them up)

Obviously took the third option, and would highly recommend Give Me The Vin. They were a pleasure to deal with, took care of all the paperwork via Docusign, and came and picked up the car from my house. Remaining principal on loan was paid off and I received a check for the delta at the time of pickup. Easy.

My experience getting rid of my 2013 BMW 328i in preparation for taking delivery of my Tesla:

1) Tesla trade-in offer was about $9700
2) Carmax offer was $10k
3) givemethevin.com offer was $11k (after I negotiated them up)

Obviously took the third option, and would highly recommend Give Me The Vin. They were a pleasure to deal with, took care of all the paperwork via Docusign, and came and picked up the car from my house. Remaining principal on loan was paid off and I received a check for the delta at the time of pickup. Easy.

Good info. Do you save on sales tax when you trade in Texas? That is the game that is usually played around here. They factor the tax savings that you would give up if you don't trade when making an offer. For example, the Tesla $9700 ($9700 + say 7% sales tax = $10,379) trade-in is actually worth more than the Carmax at $10k if you get to save the tax on the trade. Obviously, the last company beat them both so you were $621 higher in the end. Money for Tesla Wall Connector. ;)

Good info. Do you save on sales tax when you trade in Texas? That is the game that is usually played around here. They factor the tax savings that you would give up if you don't trade when making an offer. For example, the Tesla $9700 ($9700 + say 7% sales tax = $10,379) trade-in is actually worth more than the Carmax at $10k if you get to save the tax on the trade. Obviously, the last company beat them both so you were $621 higher in the end. Money for Tesla Wall Connector. ;)
Yeah, you do save on sales tax if you go that route, but to your point, the additional cheddar the third option gave me offset even the sales tax savings.