Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thoughts on the i4 M50 from a former M3P owner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm sure I'm going to get blasted in these parts but I recently picked up a i4 M50. I had a 2021 M3P for 2 years and an Audi RS3 for 1 year in between. The reason for the imminent change was a job change requiring me to commute 5 days a week (something I haven't done in 4 years). I enjoyed my M3P during the time that I had it. I had it lowered with 20s and a few visual cues to set it apart. Car was fast as hell and fun to drive and toss in corners. Literally a go kart on wheels. I knew I wanted to head back to an EV and if the Highland model had been released, I might have considered that over the BMW but I needed a car now. I actually cross-shopped the BMW with the Model S given current pricing even though the i4 is more traditionally considered a M3 competitor.

I've had the BMW for a week and have really enjoyed it. My biggest gripes with the M3P was the spartan interior, low quality materials and road noise. Traditionally, I've owned German sedans so the i4 was really targeted at me and addressed the 3 complaints directly. The fit, finish and interior are several steps up from the Tesla. It's really not even close. Yes, the penalty for all of this luxury is the extra weight and additional cost (I got a screaming deal on the BMW however). For me, these trades offs are worth it on a personal level. Some observations for those who may be comparing these vehicles:
1. Acceleration - the BMW is a hare slower than the Tesla in a straight line, but still plenty fast. Most tests put it at about 2/10 behind the current M3P. Feels about right to me.
2. Range - I usually got about 260-270 out of my Tesla. I'm seeing about 240-250 on the BMW. Pretty darn close tbh. BMW underrates and Tesla overrates. I wouldn’t be surprised if this is a push since it’s pretty cold where I am.
3. Handling - Tesla gets the win here in large part due to the weight. The Tesla is a legit fun car to toss around. The BMW is more of a GT car. It's pretty planted in street driving but you can't hide the weight.
4. Suspension - This is a big win for BMW. The M3P suspension is flat out horrible in stock form. The BMW in contrast is sporty but very comfortable. The air suspension on the rear is really a joy for a daily driver. No contest here. BMW nailed it.
5. Tech - This is a close call. The BMW idrive has a great large screen and is snappy. Probably not as intuitive as the Tesla but everything is there. The BMW has a full 360 degree camera system that's amazing and parking sensors. The HK audio system is pretty good, maybe a bit worse than the M3P but comparable. The BMW offers a screen in front of the wheel and HUD is standard.
6. Charging - I plan to charge at home so it's mostly a non-factor for me. However, on my 4 hour ride home from the dealer I did stop at an Electify America station and it was a complete debacle. 6 of 8 chargers were down and there was a line of people waiting for a charger. What should have taken me 15 minutes, took me 90 minutes. I was definitely not happy about that.

Fun to drive? For me, the BMW wins largely because the suspension is that much better than the Tesla and for my daily needs,. The BMW feels great in normal conditions and not at any limits. Since I'm not taking the car to the limits, I'm very pleased with handling and super planted feeling. Others may prefer the Tesla for good reason and I couldn't blame them if they did. The Tesla is trackable and tossable.

In short, the i4 m50 was really the perfect car for me. It fixes my major gripes with the Tesla but still retains the best things about EVs (namely, blistering acceleration and immediate torque). Sure, not getting gas is nice too. Please go easy on me. Yes, I know people don't like the grill (I kinda like it) and it's a porker.

BMW_i4_M50_1X7A7379.jpg

"BMW i4 M50 1X7A7379" by Alexander-93 is licensed under CC BY-SA 4.0.
Admin note: Image added for Blog Feed thumbnail

Last edited:
There are other cars out there. The M3P is all you said spartan, fun to zip around in, and with the best chargers but has definite cons. Glad you are happy with your current model, but I see a M3P Highland with sport seats in your 12 months forecast based solely on past results. :)

Reactions: clerks
I'm sure I'm going to get blasted in these parts but I recently picked up a i4 M50. I had a 2021 M3P for 2 years and an Audi RS3 for 1 year in between. The reason for the imminent change was a job change requiring me to commute 5 days a week (something I haven't done in 4 years). I enjoyed my M3P during the time that I had it. I had it lowered with 20s and a few visual cues to set it apart. Car was fast as hell and fun to drive and toss in corners. Literally a go kart on wheels. I knew I wanted to head back to an EV and if the Highland model had been released, I might have considered that over the BMW but I needed a car now. I actually cross-shopped the BMW with the Model S given current pricing even though the i4 is more traditionally considered a M3 competitor.

I've had the BMW for a week and have really enjoyed it. My biggest gripes with the M3P was the spartan interior, low quality materials and road noise. Traditionally, I've owned German sedans so the i4 was really targeted at me and addressed the 3 complaints directly. The fit, finish and interior are several steps up from the Tesla. It's really not even close. Yes, the penalty for all of this luxury is the extra weight and additional cost (I got a screaming deal on the BMW however). For me, these trades offs are worth it on a personal level. Some observations for those who may be comparing these vehicles:
1. Acceleration - the BMW is a hare slower than the Tesla in a straight line, but still plenty fast. Most tests put it at about 2/10 behind the current M3P. Feels about right to me.
2. Range - I usually got about 260-270 out of my Tesla. I'm seeing about 240-250 on the BMW. Pretty darn close tbh. BMW underrates and Tesla overrates. I wouldn’t be surprised if this is a push since it’s pretty cold where I am.
3. Handling - Tesla gets the win here in large part due to the weight. The Tesla is a legit fun car to toss around. The BMW is more of a GT car. It's pretty planted in street driving but you can't hide the weight.
4. Suspension - This is a big win for BMW. The M3P suspension is flat out horrible in stock form. The BMW in contrast is sporty but very comfortable. The air suspension on the rear is really a joy for a daily driver. No contest here. BMW nailed it.
5. Tech - This is a close call. The BMW idrive has a great large screen and is snappy. Probably not as intuitive as the Tesla but everything is there. The BMW has a full 360 degree camera system that's amazing and parking sensors. The HK audio system is pretty good, maybe a bit worse than the M3P but comparable. The BMW offers a screen in front of the wheel and HUD is standard.
6. Charging - I plan to charge at home so it's mostly a non-factor for me. However, on my 4 hour ride home from the dealer I did stop at an Electify America station and it was a complete debacle. 6 of 8 chargers were down and there was a line of people waiting for a charger. What should have taken me 15 minutes, took me 90 minutes. I was definitely not happy about that.

Fun to drive? For me, the BMW wins largely because the suspension is that much better than the Tesla and for my daily needs,. The BMW feels great in normal conditions and not at any limits. Since I'm not taking the car to the limits, I'm very pleased with handling and super planted feeling. Others may prefer the Tesla for good reason and I couldn't blame them if they did. The Tesla is trackable and tossable.

In short, the i4 m50 was really the perfect car for me. It fixes my major gripes with the Tesla but still retains the best things about EVs (namely, blistering acceleration and immediate torque). Sure, not getting gas is nice too. Please go easy on me. Yes, I know people don't like the grill (I kinda like it) and it's a porker.

Good review. Your charging problems will be sorted out as soon as all the superchargers are open to everyone. Kinda cool as it opens up the choices to so many other brands. We will probably need or want a pickup in the next couple years. There will be lots of choices in a couple years all with tesla supercharger access. Very cool.

Reactions: E90alex
Great review/comparison. What are the price differences between the two cars, approx?
About 10k in rear world pricing. With some work you can get some discounts on the i4 now. I paid about 62 for mine versus and MSRP of 75. The Tesla is a superb value given the price to performance ratio but personally, the extra 10k is worth it for the added luxury/creature comforts while maintaining 90% of the performance.

Congrats! Did you sell the RS3? I would have considered the M50 if it had NACS but when I upgrade, i'm sure the new Highland Performance/Ludicrous will be out.

Does the M50 come with preconditioning and route planning? Also, how is the scheduled maintenance on the car?

Congrats! Did you sell the RS3? I would have considered the M50 if it had NACS but when I upgrade, i'm sure the new Highland Performance/Ludicrous will be out.

Does the M50 come with preconditioning and route planning? Also, how is the scheduled maintenance on the car?
Thanks. In the process of selling it now. As for the M50, yes route planning and preconditioning. Not aware of any scheduled maintenance.

About 10k in rear world pricing. With some work you can get some discounts on the i4 now. I paid about 62 for mine versus and MSRP of 75. The Tesla is a superb value given the price to performance ratio but personally, the extra 10k is worth it for the added luxury/creature comforts while maintaining 90% of the performance.

I would be glad to hear your review of the Highland vs i4 when it comes out (both long range and later the performance version).

I was a longtime bimmer guy up until recently. They are absolutely one of the best handling/dialed in cars out there. Just cannot get past how they look now though. MB are just as bad, design wise, imo. If you like it then congrats and enjoy.

Reactions: Mercimek
I was a longtime bimmer guy up until recently. They are absolutely one of the best handling/dialed in cars out there. Just cannot get past how they look now though. MB are just as bad, design wise, imo. If you like it then congrats and enjoy.
I wouldn't call it the prettiest car on the market (that might still go to the model s), the i4 m50 is pretty aggressive looking in person. I would prefer that the grill be split but it has grown on me to some extent. The Model 3 isn't much of a looker either.

A good review. One major reason I stick with Tesla is the off chance I have to charge away from home is the supercharging network. But I rarely use it (if ever). Done a few road trips and it sucks. For road trips a hybrid makes more sense but a good one is pricey (like cayman hybrid or something decent). I would ditch tesla as soon as they open their chargers to other makes/models on a more broad spectrum.

Reactions: aerodyne
A good review. One major reason I stick with Tesla is the off chance I have to charge away from home is the supercharging network. But I rarely use it (if ever). Done a few road trips and it sucks. For road trips a hybrid makes more sense but a good one is pricey (like cayman hybrid or something decent). I would ditch tesla as soon as they open their chargers to other makes/models on a more broad spectrum.

That will all go away in the next year as tesla opens up the network. It will be so nice to be able to choose from other manufacturers.

I wouldn't call it the prettiest car on the market (that might still go to the model s), the i4 m50 is pretty aggressive looking in person. I would prefer that the grill be split but it has grown on me to some extent. The Model 3 isn't much of a looker either.

Model 3 is just a car now...every corner there is a white one. More common than Camrys where I live.