Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trading in a Tesla for a Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We get no tax credit in california when we trade a car in. Unlike a lot of other states, we are always charged the full price (meaning there is NO tax benefit in the slightest to trading in a car on another one vs just selling it here.. again unlike a lot of other states).

We also pay full registration, yearly, with no transfer to a new vehicle regardless of when you paid it. So, for example,. lets say your lease is expiring right now (May 7th) and you are in california, and your dealer "graciously" tells you they will give you 1 month free lease extension because they are not open.

Legally, you would have to renew the registration for an additional year, at a cost (on a leased tesla / bmw / mercedes other vehicle around 40-50k cost) of around 500-600, just so you could legally drive it on the streets, then, after the month was over, if you turned your car in and bought another one, you would pay FULL registration on that new one... if the car was 50k its going to be 500 ish more dollars registration.

I am not in the industry at all, like you were so dont know all the ins and outs you do. I just know in CA we get no trade in tax credit here. Other than that, yeah its going to be a rough year for people in the car industry.

Thanks for a courteous exchange. Sorry to sound like a Pollyanna. It's going to be challenging for everybody going forward. My best.

Reactions: jjrandorin
Thanks for a courteous exchange. Sorry to sound like a Pollyanna. It's going to be challenging for everybody going forward. My best.

Absolutely, you too! just as another data point on the registration thing I was saying above.... here in california at least DMV told local police to "exercise discretion" in enforcement of expired registration tickets, at least until May 15th. In effect, they did not want people being pulled over for expired registration when they were unable to register cars due to the pandemic.

So, while they would have legally had to register their car for that 1 month extension as I mentioned, they could "probably" skate by with expired registration here for a bit.. provided they were not breaking a bunch of other laws at least lol.

Reactions: jpfive