Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

trading

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There's no such thing as a "covered put". If you buy it, you never have to exercise it, so there's no money on the line. If you sell it, you have to have (and maintain) enough equity in your account to purchase the underlying shares, so I guess you could say this is "covered", except there's not anything like an "uncovered put".

Hard to predict, but I think there is at least a 50% chance that Tesla could test the 190/200 area one more time. The sentiment is once again negative, and analysts have downgraded the stock after the ER (as a bull though, I feel the fundamentals are better than ever). The next positive catalysts are the Q3 numbers and the pickup unveil and a possible S,X refresh, which are all a couple of months away at least. But I think it could bounce up to the 240-250 area before heading down. I'm guessing a final move back above 260 will only happen in Q4, after the Q3 numbers and the pick-up reveal. JM2C

Reactions: willow_hiller
There's no such thing as a "covered put". If you buy it, you never have to exercise it, so there's no money on the line. If you sell it, you have to have (and maintain) enough equity in your account to purchase the underlying shares, so I guess you could say this is "covered", except there's not anything like an "uncovered put".

sure there is:

check level 2 at schwab, "uncovered put":

Option Approval Levels

• Informative
Reactions: Antares Nebula
sure there is:

check level 2 at schwab, "uncovered put":

Option Approval Levels
From what I understand of that. They will force you to Short (borrow stock) to cover the put if the option gets exercised. I can see why GGR considers all puts covered. What they are calling an "uncovered put" is really covered by your ability to borrow shares. I would think in that case it would be more beneficial to just straight up short the stock.

Need some advice. :)

Planning to buy some stock, and was thinking going the route via selling a put option.

If I sell a $200 2021 put which will pay me $4500.. Then worst case I wont get any stocks, but keep the $4500. Best case, I get 100 stocks for only $15.500? (pay $20.000 -4500 which I got paid for the put option)

The only downside is - it will be a covered put, and this will tie up $20.00 for two years.. and if SP soars I miss out on these 100 shares.

Best case - SP dip below $200 the next weeks and the PUT is exercised. And I get share now for $155 and am free to sell/rinse and repeat?

Am I correct? Completely new to selling options.. only experience with options is I have been burned a lot on calls the last years. :-D I am sick of loosing on time-cost, was thinking Id be on the other side of the trade for once.;-)
Your analysis is correct, except for the bolded part. on that subject, it's very unlikely someone is going to exercise put (against you) just because it's in the money, as long as there is solid time-value in it. More than likely you need to wait until 2021. As a seller, you of course can't force exercise.

I had one sold put with few months left exercised against me, but it was for $420 strike, exercised at around $260, there was no time-value left in it...

Reactions: Boomer19
Hard to predict, but I think there is at least a 50% chance that Tesla could test the 190/200 area one more time. The sentiment is once again negative, and analysts have downgraded the stock after the ER (as a bull though, I feel the fundamentals are better than ever). The next positive catalysts are the Q3 numbers and the pickup unveil and a possible S,X refresh, which are all a couple of months away at least. But I think it could bounce up to the 240-250 area before heading down. I'm guessing a final move back above 260 will only happen in Q4, after the Q3 numbers and the pick-up reveal. JM2C

Good predictions! I'm working on a model to pull state prices out of the options chain. Looks like there's two theories in the options prices for Friday: a peak around 220, and a second peak around 250+. Not a prediction of what will happen, but given the options prices I think this gives us a rough idea of what options traders are thinking on aggregate.

state_prices_2019_8_2.png