Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Transferring unlimited, super charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2018 model S with unlimited super charging, and just purchased a 2023 model S. When I spoke to three different sales people, they all told me that my super charging was transferable so I did not trade my car in and now I'm being told it is not. Will Tesla standby what their sales people told me?

No car dealer stands by what "sales people verbally told someone". I dont have a model S but I am fairly sure that there are no 2018 Model S with transferrable Supercharging, so either they straight up lied to you, or there was a misunderstanding.

If the question is " Is tesla going to break all their policies on Transferrable supercharging and make an exception for me, because I say they told me supercharging was transferrable on this car?" The answer is 'No".

Reactions: MP3Mike
I have a 2018 model S with unlimited super charging, and just purchased a 2023 model S. When I spoke to three different sales people, they all told me that my super charging was transferable so I did not trade my car in and now I'm being told it is not. Will Tesla standby what their sales people told me?
There was a short period of time they offered 5 years of free supercharging on a new model s or x if you agreed to remove supercharging on your old car, maybe that was before they reduced the prices

Editing because another thread said 3 years. I don't remember

Reactions: zoomer0056

There was an offer that S/X with lifetime free unlimited supercharging could be traded in, or could have that ability removed from them, in exchange for 6 years of free unlimited supercharging on a new S/X. That was back in the second quarter (April - June 2023) though. I don't have the original email Tesla sent out to the owners, but here's an article describing that. Note the limited time to which this applied. Technically this was not "transferring" unlimited Supercharging, or at least they never used that terminology.

If your sales rep told you something different, then I don't know what you can do. Especially if it was verbal and not in writing. I do understand your disappointment (and I'd likely feel the same way in your situation).

Good luck,

Bruce.

• Informative
Reactions: zoomer0056
There was a short period of time they offered 5 years of free supercharging on a new model s or x if you agreed to remove supercharging on your old car, maybe that was before they reduced the prices
That special promo to transfer it was a Q2 incentive and ended June 30th.

It’s possible they interpreted your question (as I did) to mean transferable to the new owner Not the new car.

When did you buy your car? There was an earlier this promotion that let you convert unlimited with 3 years I believe. If you bought in that window you should get 3 years.
If your 18 car has unlimited supercharging, it might be or not be transferable to a new owner. If it is, it's a very good selling bonus.
Either way you should have made these clear before you accept delivery. And you should be happy with the new car no matter what if you like it. If you have remorse it's so unfortunate.

No car dealer stands by what "sales people verbally told someone". I dont have a model S but I am fairly sure that there are no 2018 Model S with transferrable Supercharging, so either they straight up lied to you, or there was a misunderstanding.

If the question is " Is tesla going to break all their policies on Transferrable supercharging and make an exception for me, because I say they told me supercharging was transferrable on this car?" The answer is 'No".
The question was not whether the supercharging was transferrable from my 2018 vehicle to a new vehicle but rather to the new buyer of the 2018 vehicle. I would not expect a company to 'break all their policies' but I would expect Tesla sales people to have correct information.

The question was not whether the supercharging was transferrable from my 2018 vehicle to a new vehicle but rather to the new buyer of the 2018 vehicle. I would not expect a company to 'break all their policies' but I would expect Tesla sales people to have correct information.
That doesnt change what I said (that you quoted). Supercharging doesnt transfer to a new buyer on a 2018 vehicle, so they either straight up lied to you, or there was mis information.

That is not going to change anything at all about Tesla turning on supercharging on that vehicle (that based on what you are saying, it sounds like you either sold private party or gave to a family member, promising free supercharging with it).

That doesnt change what I said (that you quoted). Supercharging doesnt transfer to a new buyer on a 2018 vehicle, so they either straight up lied to you, or there was mis information.

That is not going to change anything at all about Tesla turning on supercharging on that vehicle (that based on what you are saying, it sounds like you either sold private party or gave to a family member, promising free supercharging with it).
Unfortunately, I simply think the sales people were misinformed, I don't think they intentionally lied. But with their information I thought I would be able to sell my 2018 with unlimited supercharging as the incentive for the new buyer.

You’ve lead a very sheltered life if losing FUSC to buy a 2023 Model S at the current price ( thousands less a 2018 Model S ) is your worst car buying experience ever.
And my worst car buying experience was not because I lost my unlimited super charging but rather the entire buying experience. Having sales people give me misinformation and not complete up-to-date information, not being able to speak to a human being to get clear answers, and having the delivery of my new vehicle performed in a contactless manner. Simply a text that said that my car was ready and basically go find it. Perhaps I am of a generation that expects a little more customer service.

The only reliable way to know before hand which FUSC you have is to decode the option codes. In my case, 2018 S 75D, SC05 "Free unlimited Supercharging (1st owner)". My guess is Tesla will only honour those codes.

And my worst car buying experience was not because I lost my unlimited super charging but rather the entire buying experience. Having sales people give me misinformation and not complete up-to-date information, not being able to speak to a human being to get clear answers, and having the delivery of my new vehicle performed in a contactless manner. Simply a text that said that my car was ready and basically go find it. Perhaps I am of a generation that expects a little more customer service.
That sounds delightful compared to the usual dealership routine of time wasting - the salesperson running back and forth to the manager with your offer and raising the price each time. The finance person trying to pound you into an extended warranty, paint sealant, and their captive financing. And, last but not least, the last ditch effort to sell you floor mats and door edge guards when all you want to do is leave.
I’m old so the Tesla way of doing things took awhile to get used to but once I settled into it I realized that watching the pre-delivery videos ( several times because, again, I’m old ) and being left alone with the car on delivery day to look it over before accepting it was better than having to listen to a salesperson who worked at Taco Bell last week babble away. Similarly booking service through the app and, most times, having a mobile tech perform the work at your location and leave beats dealing with the service writer attempting to upsell you with all kinds of additional profit builders so they can make their bonus.
In short, after buying 2 Teslas, I much prefer the Tesla way of doing things over the old school 20th century dealership way.

Last edited:
That sounds delightful compared to the usual dealership routine of time wasting - the salesperson running back and forth to the manager with your offer and raising the price each time. The finance person trying to pound you into an extended warranty, paint sealant, and their captive financing. And, last but not least, the last ditch effort to sell you floor mats and door edge guards when all you want to do is leave.
I’m old so the Tesla way of doing things took awhile to get used to but once I settled into it I realized that watching the pre-delivery videos ( several times because, again, I’m old ) and being left alone with the car on delivery day to look it over before accepting it was better than having to listen to a salesperson who worked at Taco Bell last week babble away. Similarly booking service through the app and, most times, having a mobile tech perform the work at your location and leave beats dealing with the service writer attempting to upsell you with all kinds of additional profit builders so they can make their bonus.
In short, after buying 2 Teslas, I much prefer the Tesla way of doing things over the old school 20th century dealership way.
I prefer Tesla's way and it is revolutionizing the way cars are ordered. What I do not like is the incompetence and indifference of sales representatives.

Reactions: SO16