Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Transparent screen protector which denies touchscreen interaction

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a new dog who likes to ride in the front seat alongside my husky. Often his super wet nose touches the touch screen and sends the computer into all sorts of strange panic - usually setting the heater to maximum or volume to maximum - and it can be impossible to get out of these maximum settings without cleaning the screen (difficult while driving). Sometimes I have to reboot the computer to correct the problem, even after cleaning the screen.

I was wondering if anyone has found a transparent screen cover which does not transmit touchscreen commands to the underlying screen. Ideally something that could be slid aside quickly for interaction. Searching so far has yielded nothing, but that has more to do with the fact that there are at least 1 million different touch screen protectors available and internet search is largely useless. I can cut one out of acrylic myself on the laser, though getting to the "slide aside quickly" will be challenging.

I have a new dog who likes to ride in the front seat alongside my husky. Often his super wet nose touches the touch screen and sends the computer into all sorts of strange panic - usually setting the heater to maximum or volume to maximum - and it can be impossible to get out of these maximum settings without cleaning the screen (difficult while driving). Sometimes I have to reboot the computer to correct the problem, even after cleaning the screen.

I was wondering if anyone has found a transparent screen cover which does not transmit touchscreen commands to the underlying screen. Ideally something that could be slid aside quickly for interaction. Searching so far has yielded nothing, but that has more to do with the fact that there are at least 1 million different touch screen protectors available and internet search is largely useless. I can cut one out of acrylic myself on the laser, though getting to the "slide aside quickly" will be challenging.
I doubt you will find a ready made product given there is probably little demand for something like this.

You can buy a screen bezel, add some spacers to create a gap and use a piece of acrylic on top.
Here's some results just by googling:
TAPTES® Screen Bezel Protector for Tesla Model 3 Model Y, Screen Bezel Decoration Ring

This one has a visor:
Tesla Model 3 & Y Screen Sun Visor (Carbon Fiber Pattern ABS)

I'm guessing you want to look for ones you can easily snap on or off.

You can also try buying a protector with an alignment frame and then somehow gluing something on the edges to create an air gap between it and the screen (obviously don't remove the protective layer that covers the adhesive size):
https://www.amazon.com/Nestour-Tempered-Protector-Alignment-Anti-fingerprint/dp/B09Y221CXX?th=1

The issue with that idea is most screen protectors are super thin, so your dog pressing on it likely will still have it touching the screen (although I guess it may make it less of an issue given the protector would presumably spring back).

lecter-pug-22811-1301200171-82.jpg

I'd buy one of the screen edge rubber protectors and then laser some tabs out of very thin material. Bend or fashion tabs that tuck under the rubber edge protector. Leave just an 1/4" upturn in 3-4 places so that your acrylic flat piece just hangs on the tabs and can be removed easily. Then cut matching slots in the large protector to match the location of the tabs.

I have a CO2 laser as well so I can visualize exactly what would be done.