Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Travel from Michigan to Markham, ON

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Guys -

Quick question for those who may travel this route frequently. I plan on charging up at the Woodstock, ON SC. From there, I should have enough range (P85) to make it to my destination in Markham. I calculate that if I keep off the go pedal that I should be able make it there and back and still have a safety margin. It would appear that I could use the Toronto SC before I head back if there is an issue. A couple of questions.

1) How busy are the eight stalls in the Toronto SC? Is there a peak time to avoid? I can't imagine that eight stalls is enough to handle demand.

2) Are there any Tesla specific chargers in Markham that I'm not aware of? It looks like I can hit a J1772 at the Go Train Station and leave it there for like 8 hours to get up a decent amount of charge.

Pretty much I'll park my car once I get to my destination. I only have access to a 120V plug there, and that'll probably keep the vampire drain away and that's about it.

Any thoughts? Appreciate the tips and the better knowledge about the area.

You don't mention the size of your battery as in 70, 85, 90. I have an 85 and your round trip distance (from Woodstock to Markham) is about 310km so you may be cutting it a bit tight. If you can get an hour or so at an L2 in Markham that should do it - there are several listed on PlugShare. Or if you are in Markham overnight then a 120V plug should help enough so that you have a safety margin.

Reactions: Jaff
You don't mention the size of your battery as in 70, 85, 90. I have an 85 and your round trip distance (from Woodstock to Markham) is about 310km so you may be cutting it a bit tight. If you can get an hour or so at an L2 in Markham that should do it - there are several listed on PlugShare. Or if you are in Markham overnight then a 120V plug should help enough so that you have a safety margin.

Car is a P85. And I'd be in town for 2-3 days, so I guess I should be ok then if I don't drive it while I'm here. I also have 21 inch tires, so that's another degradation of efficiency.

To answer another of your original questions - the Toronto site is very busy and is closed this weekend as they are doing maintenance on the lot. But it isn't too far out of your way from Markham assuming that you will be near Hwy 404. So another option would be to head down there if you have some spare time but you may have to wait for a bit. But you can go to the Tim Hortons that is only a few hundred yards away.

1) How busy are the eight stalls in the Toronto SC? Is there a peak time to avoid? I can't imagine that eight stalls is enough to handle demand.

You're right. They're always very busy. I would plan not to use it if possible. Or plan to get there and wait. And remember... This is a city that is bigger than all but New York or Los Angeles in the USA. traffic is a massive concern you should pay close attention to.

Therea also Grimsby which isn't ideal but maybe you can cut underneath lake Erie through upstate new York. See Niagara falls on the way and be covered that way.

You're right. They're always very busy. I would plan not to use it if possible. Or plan to get there and wait. And remember... This is a city that is bigger than all but New York or Los Angeles in the USA. traffic is a massive concern you should pay close attention to.
But if you don't mind paying tolls you can take Hwy 407 from where it splits off from Hwy 401 in Mississauga and bypass most of the heavy Toronto traffic. And Hwy 407 cuts right through Markham. It is all electronic tolls so if you are lucky you will never even get a bill.

I make that route all the time going to London for work. Just make sure you are fully charged at Woodstock and you should have plenty (100km plus) by the time you get to Markham.

You can then go to Lawrence station the next day or something.

Reactions: cchc99
Thanks for the tip guys. I always have the J1772 adapter in the car. I'll probably only make this trip 4-6x a year. I don't know if it's worth the investment to buy a Chademo adapter.

Yes. Technically I won't be in Toronto if I can avoid it. A lot has changed - a lot changes even between return trips. I spent about 15 years of my life in Scarborough/Markham.

This will be the first time I attempt to do it in a nonICE.

Car is a P85. And I'd be in town for 2-3 days, so I guess I should be ok then if I don't drive it while I'm here. I also have 21 inch tires, so that's another degradation of efficiency.
Why would you come to Toronto and not want to drive in our beautiful city? Lol!
You could also use the Supercharger in Grimsby which isn't too far off the beaten track!

You can also stop at Square One mall in Mississauga on the way if you'd like to recharge.
There are about 5 30amp chargers underneath holt renfrew. Grab a bite to eat. May provide you a top up if your a bit low.

Worst case stop at Yorkdale mall off 401/Dufferin and see what they have considering they have a Tesla store with quite a few demos parked underground. They likely have quite a few chargers for them.

You can also stop at Square One mall in Mississauga on the way if you'd like to recharge.
There are about 5 30amp chargers underneath holt renfrew. Grab a bite to eat. May provide you a top up if your a bit low.

Worst case stop at Yorkdale mall off 401/Dufferin and see what they have considering they have a Tesla store with quite a few demos parked underground. They likely have quite a few chargers for them.
They don't want owners plugging in there anymore. They are strictly for test drives.
There are, however, across the lot on the same level, quite a few public chargers.

If you're plugging in for 2-3 days, you'll easily recoup enough charge to get back to Woodstock...you should have no trouble putting on 100-120 kms. / day this time of year off of a Level 1 15 amp.

Reactions: cchc99