Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trialling FSD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have my first big road trip in the 3 coming up next week. According to the upgrade screen in the app it states that I can request a refund for FSD within 48 hours of purchase. I figure this would be the best time for me to see if it's really something we could benefit from. Has anyone actually purchased then had Tesla refund FSD? With the amount of highway driving on this road trip I figured navigate on AP would be cool to test, and with my 85 yr old grandmother riding with us, summon would be nice to try if we get in a tight parking situation.

FWIW, Tesla has has (or has had?) a 7-day money-back-guarantee on new car purchases.
A fellow at work had issues with Model 3, and returned it within 3 days.
It took him 40+ days and +1 monthly car loan payment to get the refund from Tesla.

YMMV,
a

P.S.: OTOH, if you pay by credit card and save the time stamps of all transactions, you could dispute it later with your credit card company if Tesla fails to post credit promptly.

Well at some point Tesla appears to have changed the default “checked” status on the purchase upgrade screen to now not being checked...

3DDC5967-9349-407C-9F46-A42CD57FC7AB.jpeg

I really dont see it worth 7k either tbh, but I am curious to try some of the features to determine whether I wanna roll it into the next car loan. The Y is probably where we will land with an outside chance of an X. I can't see dropping 20% of the cars value for software.
Yeah, I’d have trouble spending $7K too. We were lucky, I guess. We bought the car with EAP (no longer available), which includes all the autonomy features available thus far. Then we grabbed FSD for $2K on sale last year. At this point, it adds nothing functional (promise of an upgraded computer, though)—it’s just a bet on the future.

Yeah, I’d have trouble spending $7K too. We were lucky, I guess. We bought the car with EAP (no longer available), which includes all the autonomy features available thus far. Then we grabbed FSD for $2K on sale last year. At this point, it adds nothing functional (promise of an upgraded computer, though)—it’s just a bet on the future.

For 2k I would think about it

Reactions: CharleyBC
Well..... Found out via my credit card bill that I purchased FSD accidentally through the app a month ago. Aside from the not so smart set up on their app for upgrade purchases they apparently also do NOT send confirming emails as well. I had no clue I made this purchase. I don't have HW3 so my case should be pretty open and shut that I wasn't gaming the system by playing with FSD for a month before requesting a refund. Contacted Tesla and my credit card company the second I figured it out. Hopefully Tesla plays nice.

So PSA.... Check your credit cards if you haven't recently.

Well..... Found out via my credit card bill that I purchased FSD accidentally through the app a month ago. Aside from the not so smart set up on their app for upgrade purchases they apparently also do NOT send confirming emails as well. I had no clue I made this purchase. I don't have HW3 so my case should be pretty open and shut that I wasn't gaming the system by playing with FSD for a month before requesting a refund. Contacted Tesla and my credit card company the second I figured it out. Hopefully Tesla plays nice.

HW3 makes no difference currently (other than seeing yellow cones).
You may not have noticed it but sounds like your car has been running in full FSD mode for a month.

Let us know how you make out.
Looking at it from the outside, one may believe you accidently purchased and did not notice the charge until your CC bill ; but you also clearly did not notice the new setting options within your car's menu nor more capability when driving in AP mode all this time.
Adding that all up is a little of not noticing.

HW3 makes no difference currently (other than seeing yellow cones).
You may not have noticed it but sounds like your car has been running in full FSD mode for a month.

Let us know how you make out.
Looking at it from the outside, one may believe you accidently purchased and did not notice the charge until your CC bill ; but you also clearly did not notice the new setting options within your car's menu nor more capability when driving in AP mode all this time.
Adding that all up is a little of not noticing.

Should have mentioned I already have EAP with smart summon, etc. So really nothing would have changed.

Well, I went on my trip. I went there with what I had. Standard AP. By the time I reached where I was going, I realized I have absolutely no use for FSD at this time and I don't need 48 hours of having it to tell me that.

Standard AP is great! I think many new buyers don't realize how good the included AP is and talk themselves into the FSD option at purchase. Most probably don't even realize after they paid $7K more for the minor benefits and promise of more to come.

Oh, gotcha; yes that makes a big difference! Also I thought in your case (an EAP) owner you are able to buy FSD for less than the $7K price?
I was charged $4,000 plus tax. I agree though even that seems high. Forget what I pad for EAP but I thought it was $5k. That would put FSD at $9k plus for me which is insane. I did purchase FSD on my S when it was on sale for $2k but really don't see the need for it on my 3 when I have EAP already. Gess we'll see what Tesla has to say but no way im keeping the purchase without a fight that's for sure.

This is really interesting. When I purchased rear heated seats for my Model 3 SR+ there was a confirmation in the app (so a second screen I had to agree to) AND I got an email confirmation on it.

So maybe things have been changed? If that's the case maybe Tesla will play nice and let you out of that purchase...

That 48 hour thing is a somewhat recent addition. I get the sense it showed up after some accidental purchases...

So it’s possibly true that intentional purchases are final, but if you kid gets your phone or you accidentally mash the button or something you have 48 hours to rush to Tesla and explain your situation and ask for a refund.

Can Tesla prove you bought it just to test vs an accident? Probably not. Will they refund, probably. Could that change at any moment or then deny it for some reason (possibly based on data seeing you used it for 500 miles straight or something) who knows...

that would make sense why it's on the app only, where it's more likely to be accidental (butt purchase? )

This is really interesting. When I purchased rear heated seats for my Model 3 SR+ there was a confirmation in the app (so a second screen I had to agree to) AND I got an email confirmation on it.

So maybe things have been changed? If that's the case maybe Tesla will play nice and let you out of that purchase...
When you made your purchase was it with the credit card on file or was it with Apple Pay? Mine was with the card on file and apparently that only takes 2 taps of the screen to push it through. I scoured my emails once I realized wondering how I missed an email from Tesla and couldn’t find it. When I purchased FSD for my S when it was on sale from their website I did receive an email with an invoice.

I found a good YouTube video on the purchase process because I was surprised I could do it so easily without realizing.