Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trick to Flac Files?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there a trick to getting the Model 3 to recognize flac files? I've tried putting them in nice folders as well as in the root folder but it just sees the drive as blank even when going directly to the front USB. It does recognize there is a usb drive it just doesn't recognize any files.

Does it see other kinds of files, like mp3? If not, it may be formatted as exFAT, which the car can't read, instead of FAT32. You should be able to see that using a computer to show info about the drive. If that's the case, you'll need to reformat. MacOS can do that with the system utilities, but Windows requires a third party program to format drives larger than 32GB as FAT32. I use this one: FAT32 Format - Download

I have also found that if I let my encoder use "maximum compression" that my FLAC files will skip on the Tesla, but "standard compression" will work fine.

As mentioned previously, you need to format the drive as FAT32. EXT4 will work if you know Linux. Also, did you create a folder called "Music" in the root folder of the USB drive? All music needs to go in there, else it won't see it.

Regarding compression, I have many FLAC files that were compressed using -8 (the highest) and there's no issue. For FLAC, decoding is always quite fast and not dependent on the level of compression.

• Helpful
Reactions: house9
You don't need a folder named Music. Where does that come from? I've heard that before, it's balderdash. Just put your flac files in album style folders, and throw them in the root level, and you'll be fine. And yes, flacs work perfectly fine once you get the drive formatted correctly.

Here's what my music drive looks like currently -
Screen Shot 2019-12-09 at 11.06.51 PM.jpg

I don't usually have a lot of stuff on this drive, as I'm constantly messing with it.

Basic question are you trying to use the same USB drive and partition for TeslaCam and music? You have to create a separate partition for music if you want use the same USB device for camera and music.

I think the Music folder came from using a raspberry pi as the music source and having multiple partitions for music and the teslacam. The owner's manual does not specify you need a Music folder, so I stand corrected.