Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

USB weird issue/problem

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had a Samsung T7 1tb drive since I bought my 2018 S last Nov., and set it up from some instructions I saw online. Today I decided I'd load some FLAC music to my previously created "Music" folder but couldn't find USB in 'media'. Then I realized USB never showed as an option despite zero issues recording dashcam/sentry stuff. So I followed the Tesla instructions to format within the vehicle and could now see USB appear in Media. I go back to my PC and it doesn't recognize the drive, yet it allows me the option to format it as exFAT. I do that, manually created the TeslaSentry folder but lo and behold my car no longer sees it as a USB in Media! So I have no way to drag/drop FLAC files onto it either way.

From Manual:
• Use a dedicated flash drive exclusively for
saving footage for your vehicle.

Formatting the USB Flash Drive
To correctly save and retrieve video footage,
your vehicle requires a properly formatted
USB flash drive containing a base-level folder
called "TeslaCam" (without quotation marks).
In addition, the flash drive must be formatted
as FAT 32 (for Windows), MS-DOS FAT (for
Mac), ext3, or ext4 in order to save videos.
NTFS and exFAT are not currently supported.

I believe you can format the drive Fat32 using the windows Format command from the Command Prompt window if you don't have a 3rd party app that allows for formatting FAT32.

Format <drive> /FS:FAT32 /Q

From Manual:
• Use a dedicated flash drive exclusively for
saving footage for your vehicle.

Formatting the USB Flash Drive
To correctly save and retrieve video footage,
your vehicle requires a properly formatted
USB flash drive containing a base-level folder
called "TeslaCam" (without quotation marks).
In addition, the flash drive must be formatted
as FAT 32 (for Windows), MS-DOS FAT (for
Mac), ext3, or ext4 in order to save videos.
NTFS and exFAT are not currently supported.

I believe you can format the drive Fat32 using the windows Format command from the Command Prompt window if you don't have a 3rd party app that allows for formatting FAT32.

Format <drive> /FS:FAT32 /Q
I got it finally resolved by creating two exFAT partitions: 1 16gb one called TESLACAM w/a TeslaCam folder within, and another called MUSIC using the remaining space. What's funny is that formatting it within the car utilizes exFAT, yet documentation recommends FAT32 which in Windows only supports up to 32gb so your options are either a 3rd party tool or using a Mac!

Reactions: ATPMSD