Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trim installed poorly on driver's door and B-pillar - anyone else seen this?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I close my door, the interior trim panel pops off, leaving about a 3/16 inch gap between where it is and where it's supposed to be. I can pop it back into place, but at the price, that's sorta not the point.

And, of course, having found one flaw, I get hyper-sensitive about others; I think the trim on the driver's side B-pillar's loose, too.

Anyone else experienced this?

This was a problem I had at delivery; there are about 10 clips inside holding the door panel to the door. I noticed it after I left because when I closed the door,the panel sort of rebounded back after the impact of the door closing. The service center said their policy is to replace them all, any time they remove a door panel. It should not be a quick service visit for you to get that fixed.

Just took delivery on a 2021 M3 LR yesterday and got in the car for the first time. The B-pillar trim piece came off and opened up an inch-wise gap. Service appointment made. Get to live with this for another week. Seems like a design or quality flaw.

This had been a problem with my 2019 M3 LR for months. It happens because the driver's butt hits the B-pillar interior trim when getting in, particularly likely because of the "easy entry" position of the seat. Tesla should have used more of the plastic panel retainer clips for that trim, given it's vulnerability.

Over the summer it came loose again (photo 1) and fist pounding it didn't work to make it go back. I finally got around to looking in there and found two reasons why. The first is that there is a plastic spike just below one of the upper retainer clips, possibly intended as a guide spike, that had drooped down in the summer heat (photo 2) and wouldn't go back in its guide hole, preventing the nearby clip from reaching its metal hole in the pillar. I could have just cut the guide spike off, but didn't want to modify the panel from stock in case I needed to take it to the service center, so I straightened it out.

The second problem is that another one of the retainer clips had fallen out and was found on the floor inside the B-pillar trim space. The molded plastic U-shaped socket for this clip has its opening facing downward (photo 3), which allowed the clip to fall out. This IS a design defect, albeit a minor one. It's likely that this clip falling out resulted in less overall holding power of the remaining clips on the trim, making it more likely the trim would come loose again. I used silicone sealant around the base of the clip when I put it back to keep it in position.

If others have this problem, look for the missing clip inside the trim space on the floor. Of course, keeping your butt from hitting that trim will help prevent recurrence also.

Attachments

• 20211102_112716.jpg
    20211102_112716.jpg
    342.2 KB · Views: 665
  • 20211102_125946.jpg
    20211102_125946.jpg
    226.9 KB · Views: 188
  • 20211102_130706.jpg
    20211102_130706.jpg
    196.6 KB · Views: 184