Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trip meter counts energy used while stopped (in Drive, but not in Park) - with test results

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

darth_vad3r

Well-Known Sith
May 6, 2019
Canada
Re-posting the test methodology I posted earlier in this post #80 in this thread here:
Tips on how I averaged~190 wh/mi for 17,000 miles (so far...) ... along with test results now that demonstrate this is how it works.

The premise is that the trip meter is based on an internal odometer and watt-hour-meter that takes a snapshot when you reset the trip, and then updates that display based on future snapshots (when the distance ticks up), and 'pausing' the readings while you are in Park, but not while you are stopped in Drive.

It's an easy 0.2km test that takes a couple of minutes, description repeated here, now with test results below:

1. Drive 100m.
    a. HVAC should be off. From a stop, reset the 'since' trip.
    b. Drive slowly 100m until trip meter ticks up from 0.0km to 0.1km.
    c. Stop the car.
    d. Leave it in Drive (for test variants A and B. For variant C put it into Park instead).

[The trip meter will probably read something high like 0.1 km, 200 Wh/km]
  2. Stay stopped for a couple minutes.
    a. While stopped, use some extra energy (HVAC suits us nicely). e.g. Turn the heat up a bit, roll the windows down if necessary, wait 1-2 minutes, turn the heat off. If you prefer AC, max AC for 5+ minutes.
    b. Turn HVAC back off after X minutes (1-2 for heat, 5+ for AC).

3. Drive another 100m.
    a. Drive slowly until the trip meter ticks up from 0.1km to 0.2km.

[The trip meter will register something REALLY high like 0.2 km, 800 Wh/km]

Variations:
A. As described above, with HVAC on while stopped in Drive.
B. Repeat the test sitting for a couple minutes in Drive, but with no HVAC on (skip step 2a).
C. Repeat the test with "1d" put into Park but still using HVAC while stopped.​

(B) and (C) should both show some low number like 2-300 Wh/km while A should show a crazy high number like 7-900 Wh/km.

So I just performed these tests, repeating the same ~150m route each time (in the same direction) travelling at the same slow 10-12 km/h speeds to try to reproduce the same conditions as closely as possible. The only difference in the test was during the ~2 minute stop portion whether I was in Drive (hold) or Park, and whether the HVAC remained off, or was turned on. Also I think the route is 150m, because the trip ticks up from 0.0km to 0.1km after you've driven only ~50m.

TL;DR:

Test Results are as follows:
Test A: 0.1 km 190 Wh/km; Stop in Drive, turn Heat on HI, fan on 10 for ~2 minutes then turn off, drive, stop: 0.2 km, 1,497 Wh/km [see attached image!]
Test B: 0.1 km 163 Wh/km; Stop in Drive for ~2 minutes (no HVAC), drive, stop: 0.2 km, 193 Wh/km
Test C: 0.1 km 190 Wh/km; Stop in Park, turn Heat on HI, fan on 10 for ~2 minutes then turn off, drive, stop: 0.2 km, 147 Wh/km
LOL:
B8245DED-D664-4BBD-87A0-86CD9B6F952A.jpeg

Last edited: