Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trip Planner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I also recommend A Better Routeplanner, especially if you have a Model X. Make sure to note in the settings to change from metric to imperial or vise versa. I made that mistake the first time using it and couldn't understand the crazy odd numbers I was seeing.
I'm looking to use a better routeplanner for an upcoming long trip, I'm curious what setting did you use for the reference consumption? I currently have it set for 265 Wh / km as I have noticed my car would average around 250 Wh / km. Just curious to see what everyone else is using for their Model X (I have a 75D).

I'm looking to use a better routeplanner for an upcoming long trip, I'm curious what setting did you use for the reference consumption? I currently have it set for 265 Wh / km as I have noticed my car would average around 250 Wh / km. Just curious to see what everyone else is using for their Model X (I have a 75D).

I also have a 75D. The consumption rate is highly dependent on the weather as you know. When I use the site to plan out a trip I overestimate my consumption rate to build in a little safety net. That way if weather, road conditions, traffic change, detours are not in my original plan, then I have a little extra Wh/mi built in. Below are the general numbers I'll go off of but I'll also look at my current running average to get an estimate.

Summer - estimate 350 Wh/mi or 220 Wh/km
Warm Winter Day - estimate 400 Wh/mi or 250 Wh/km
Cold Winter Day - estimate 500 Wh/mi or 310 Wh/km

I've also done some towing in the summer and winter with my MX. These are the general numbers I've used. The winter range can vary wildly because of heating and winter winds.

Summer + Towing - estimate 600 Wh/mi or 375 Wh/km
Winter + Towing - estimate 750+ Wh/mi or 465 Wh/km

(I rounded up/down the metric numbers to be similar to the imperial numbers I'm used to)

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: pakman00 and Shaz
My actual averages over 22,000 miles in my 75D are 292 Wh/mile summer, and 330 Wh/mi winter. I use 340 Wh/mi in ABRP for winter planning.
The only time this doesn't work is when staying at a hotel, charging the night before, and letting the battery cold soak overnight. The next morning, the battery heater will consume a large amount of energy.
So, our standard technique now is to select a hotel by a SC, charge to 80% on arrival, then top off to 90 the next morning.This pre-heats the battery and improves the first leg's efficiency.

• Helpful
Reactions: Shaz
My actual averages over 22,000 miles in my 75D are 292 Wh/mile summer, and 330 Wh/mi winter. I use 340 Wh/mi in ABRP for winter planning.
The only time this doesn't work is when staying at a hotel, charging the night before, and letting the battery cold soak overnight. The next morning, the battery heater will consume a large amount of energy.
So, our standard technique now is to select a hotel by a SC, charge to 80% on arrival, then top off to 90 the next morning.This pre-heats the battery and improves the first leg's efficiency.
Couldn’t you do the same with hotel charger. Set charge to 80% overnight and start charging again an hour or so before you leave in morning by adjusting your setting 90-100%? This is what I do w/ my Hpwc before leaving on road trip during winter months.

Reactions: kavyboy
Couldn’t you do the same with hotel charger. Set charge to 80% overnight and start charging again an hour or so before you leave in morning by adjusting your setting 90-100%? This is what I do w/ my Hpwc before leaving on road trip during winter months.
Yes you can. Believe it or not, on our long, mostly interstate highway trips, I find it easier to find hotels with Superchargers, than with destination chargers. So that is why I mentioned SC. The SCs are located closer to the interstates.

Except youre occupying a charger all night long that some other guest may need. If youre saying to move it back to charger and finish up in the morning then obviously yes.

I also have a 75D. The consumption rate is highly dependent on the weather as you know. When I use the site to plan out a trip I overestimate my consumption rate to build in a little safety net. That way if weather, road conditions, traffic change, detours are not in my original plan, then I have a little extra Wh/mi built in. Below are the general numbers I'll go off of but I'll also look at my current running average to get an estimate.

Summer - estimate 350 Wh/mi or 220 Wh/km
Warm Winter Day - estimate 400 Wh/mi or 250 Wh/km
Cold Winter Day - estimate 500 Wh/mi or 310 Wh/km

I've also done some towing in the summer and winter with my MX. These are the general numbers I've used. The winter range can vary wildly because of heating and winter winds.

Summer + Towing - estimate 600 Wh/mi or 375 Wh/km
Winter + Towing - estimate 750+ Wh/mi or 465 Wh/km

(I rounded up/down the metric numbers to be similar to the imperial numbers I'm used to)

For your running average, which setting do you use? past 5 KM, past 25 KM, past 50 KM?

Thanks again for your tips.

For your running average, which setting do you use? past 5 KM, past 25 KM, past 50 KM?

Thanks again for your tips.
Remember that the car nav does not use your past driving usage to estimate how much charging you need when you are charging, it uses the amount you would use to achieve rated range. If it is cold or you plan to drive over 65 mph, your usage will be higher. Only after you start driving will it take your current usage rate into account.

• Helpful
Reactions: Shaz