Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trojan Energy "flat and flush" on-street EV charging being piloted in Camden and Brent in London

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The problem with using lighting poles to supply energy is the metering and correlation to vehicle. With owners having their own lance device, all that can be cleverly monitored and any access point made use of. With street lights continually moving to LED also, I'm not sure the circuits would be rated for n times 7.4 kW output for hours at a time, so may still involve digging up the pavements.

The problem with using lighting poles to supply energy is the metering and correlation to vehicle. With owners having their own lance device, all that can be cleverly monitored and any access point made use of. With street lights continually moving to LED also, I'm not sure the circuits would be rated for n times 7.4 kW output for hours at a time, so may still involve digging up the pavements.
It’s been happening in some London areas via lamp post charging for a few years now so the issues should be well understood by now. Only very new streets may potentially have been wired to a lower capacity in expectation of LED lights I would think.