Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trouble connecting to M3 on Tesla app

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone have a trouble connecting to the car on Tesla app? Mine keeps saying “waking up” and not getting past that. It wasn’t connecting like a month ago either but I think Tesla server was down and then it started working after a while.

I have trouble at home on WiFi. If I’m in my house I can’t connect but when out on LTE no problems. It’s been this way since I got it. Also same with my MS. My house is a cell signal dead spot but I’ve not figured out why on WiFi I can’t connect either, it will only connect when not in deep sleep.

since the .50 upgrade series, connecting to my car at home mostly does NOT work anymore ;(

I'm thinking that their servers are still overloaded. I don't know the exact details of the data exchange, but I assume that when I try to connect to my car, it first goes out either wifi or lte (on my phone), then to a public server that tesla manages, then THAT is what sends an sms to wake up the car. the sms sending services are notoriously unreliable and there's not even a way to get a confirmed ACK back from the sms sender. so that's one area that is weak, in the whole wake-up system. the other is that if we can't even get to the tesla public server (and get any timeslices on its cpu) then our cars won't respond to wake-ups.

not sure its the .50 or their servers but remote connections to the car is very unreliable, now.

I'm seeing enough 'bars' on the lte antenna icon, so I don't think that's the problem. some mornings, I notice that lte is 'down' but it eventually restarts itself (likely a watchdog process keeps it going, which is actually quite common in the industry).

Does anyone have a trouble connecting to the car on Tesla app? Mine keeps saying “waking up” and not getting past that. It wasn’t connecting like a month ago either but I think Tesla server was down and then it started working after a while.
My phone (iPhone XS Max) used to always open Tesla, anytime (not a deep sleep issue). Now it never does (started about Sep); I must launch the app first, then car will open. I’m a nerd so it’s not something trivial like Bluetooth off, but I sure can’t find the problem. Wife’s identical phone always works - doesn’t have to launch app.

My phone (iPhone XS Max) used to always open Tesla, anytime (not a deep sleep issue). Now it never does (started about Sep); I must launch the app first, then car will open. I’m a nerd so it’s not something trivial like Bluetooth off, but I sure can’t find the problem. Wife’s identical phone always works - doesn’t have to launch app.
Enabling the app to run in the background on your phone should solve the problem.