Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trunk not opening - possible reasons and solutions?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

my trunk is not opening. I does not even make a sound of latch mechanism. Not possible to open it from key button or inside button. I got car 5y ago and i think mechanical lock is stuck rusted, i got bunch of keys with car but not a single one goes all in...

I was trying to look for fuse for latch mechanism but i didnt find it in specs. Do you you think i should try reset VMS by pulling cables? Any ideas?

Thanks

I believe it's a Ford part. This is what I have; both sides have the same number stamped on them.

trunk latch drivers side.jpg

I assume this is coming from the motor yeah, did you remove the tail light to get access? There should be a part number on it, I assume this part is coming from another car like the latches, I hope we can find it easily.

I also had that happen to me when I had put something in the trunk that was a bit too tall (but compressable).
The trunk closed by pushing down on both sides, but the tension then kept the latch from releasing.
I had to force the trunk sides down while using the key to get it to unlock. Easy two person job - super hard and awkward alone.

Check out this thread Trunk Release Issues
It's easy to replace the actuator if you remove the taillights. You probably also need to replace or at least tighten the cables on each side. Be sure and order a replacement actuator with high force. Most of them are a bit wimpy but if you can find a good one that specs 8 lbs or more that will help a lot.

Reactions: janchr
Check out this thread Trunk Release Issues
It's easy to replace the actuator if you remove the taillights. You probably also need to replace or at least tighten the cables on each side. Be sure and order a replacement actuator with high force. Most of them are a bit wimpy but if you can find a good one that specs 8 lbs or more that will help a lot.
Thx, thats what I did. I am waiting to receive actuator, i hope it will fit. According to pictures i will have to remove metal mounting bracket. Thanks for info.