Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trunk of Model Y unaligned all of a sudden.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Opened the trunk of my model Y last night and it shut down automatically. Tried opening it again and it wouldn’t open. Noticed that the top of the trunk which is aligned with the roof had a large gap on one side. Anyone had a similar experience?

Adding a photo for reference.
IMG_4793.jpeg

Opened the trunk of my model Y last night and it shut down automatically. Tried opening it again and it wouldn’t open. Noticed that the top of the trunk which is aligned with the roof had a large gap on one side. Anyone had a similar experience?

Adding a photo for reference. View attachment 1029453
I'd take a guess that the left liftgate hinge failed, possibly because the nuts on the bolts were either loose and fell off or were missing from the factory.

Reactions: Pianewman
I assume that you tried climbing in a rear door, dropping seats and seeing if the manual release would work.

The manual release lever for the Tesla Model Y is usually located on the underside of the trunk lid, near the latch mechanism. The lever may be covered by a small panel that can be removed by gently prying it off or unscrewing it. The lever is often a brightly colored handle or lever that you can pull or push to release the trunk latch.

This EXACT thing happened to me yesterday. I have a 2023 model Y. The trunk door is suddenly crazy misaligned with the body of the car. When I try to open the trunk it will unlatch but won't lift. So I manually lift it. On closing, the auto closer works but will not latch - I need to add a bit of manual force to help it along. I have a service call booked for a couple of weeks from now. Bobbysethi - is yours ok now? Was the repair done well by the service team and was it covered under warranty?

There was a youtube video of a tesla fleet owner. Of the many issues Model Y has _the_most_common_ is the tail gate alignment. The single tailgate actuator is a bad design. It is so torque-y it is a matter of time the left side will become misaligned. It is also a source of water ingress.