Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y trunk not working!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone,

I have a 2024 Model Y with 400 miles. While at the store, I noticed my trunk will not open via the app or the touch screen. I try to manually open it but that did not work as well. The trunk will try to open but then re-close as if something is stuck. Anybody has this issue and if so, how was it resolved?

Can you force it open? As in, when you press the release on the hatch does it actually unlatch, and if so, can you push it open after it does?

Or is it not unlatching at all?

Ultimately, it’s a brand new car with a warranty… schedule service.

Reactions: KevinT3141
Can you force it open? As in, when you press the release on the hatch does it actually unlatch, and if so, can you push it open after it does?

Or is it not unlatching at all?

Ultimately, it’s a brand new car with a warranty… schedule service.
I try force opening it but that didn’t work either. I can hear it unlatching and the trunk will slightly open a little but that’s about it.

Yup, scheduled it already

I have never had this happened to me. However, you may want to try rebooting the car (press and hold both rolling wheels on the steering wheel for a few seconds and the car will reboot).

That often resolves other issues and it may work for this too.

If it opens a little bit then stops then my guess is that the strut on the passenger side( RH ) failed or has become stuck.
The liftgate has a powered linear actuator on the driver side and a pressurized strut on the other side which handles most of the liftgate load.
It's a balancing act with the pressurized strut doing most of the work and the power strut assisting the lift on open and opposing the lift(of the pressurized strut) on close.

Reactions: KevinT3141