Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trunk opening/physical button issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

kxL808

Nov 7, 2021
Mars
When I use the app to open my trunk, it only opens halfway. Also my trunk button is not engaging, it is lit up but the actual 'click' feel of the button stopped working. Just wondering if anyone has had this same problem/ knows a way to fix this. I already scheduled an appt, but I wanted to see if it was something I could do myself.

I assume you have a powered trunk, in which case you can try this from the manual:

Adjusting Opening Height of Powered Trunk

You can adjust the opening height of the powered trunk (if equipped) to make it easier to reach or to avoid low- hanging ceilings or objects (for example, a garage door or light):

1. Open the trunk, then manually lower or raise it to the desired opening height.
2. Press and hold the button on the underside of the trunk for three seconds until you hear a confirmation chime.
3. Confirm that you have set it to the desired height by closing the powered trunk, then reopening it.

I assume you have a powered trunk, in which case you can try this from the manual:

Adjusting Opening Height of Powered Trunk

You can adjust the opening height of the powered trunk (if equipped) to make it easier to reach or to avoid low- hanging ceilings or objects (for example, a garage door or light):

1. Open the trunk, then manually lower or raise it to the desired opening height.
2. Press and hold the button on the underside of the trunk for three seconds until you hear a confirmation chime.
3. Confirm that you have set it to the desired height by closing the powered trunk, then reopening it.
This didn’t solve my issue. Mobile service came out and replaced the button, now about a month later having the same issue! So annoying!!

Reactions: SlimJim
This didn’t solve my issue. Mobile service came out and replaced the button, now about a month later having the same issue! So annoying!!
If replacing the button solved all of your issues earlier (though temporarily), then I would suggest scheduling an appointment to repeat the procedure.
Mention in the description of the problem that you seam to be burning the buttons on the monthly basis. This might give them a clue as to what might be the root cause.

Good luck,
a