TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Trunk seal replaced by mobile service

Discussion in 'Model 3: Interior & Exterior' started by danix, Sep 20, 2019.

1. danix

danix Member

Had a nice experience with mobile service (my first).
    Tech came out and looked, confirmed the seal was not installed right and needed to be replaced.
    I expected to hear "well, we have to order it and it will take X weeks" but instead he said "I have a new seal with me here, and I can do it right now." 20 minutes later, it was done.

This is what the seal looked like. It was also warped at the top corners.
    [​IMG]

2. Nogasmn

Nogasmn Member

What does it look like after he fixed it?

3. danix

danix Member

The same, but not twisted.

4. KenC

KenC Active Member

It should look like this:
    IMG_3207.jpg

There's a lip or flange that is not pulled out. It's stuck inside the bumper cover. You need to pull it out.

IMG_2783 (1).jpg

• Disagree x 2
    • Like x 1
  5. danix

danix Member

That doesn't look right. Here's mine post-repair.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  6. danix

danix Member

BTW bent corners may be here for good. I noticed the new one is already doing the same.
    I think it's because this plastic trim piece was designed after the fact - I had just asked if the trunk upper being unpainted was normal, and he said that's why they started adding the trim piece. I suspect the gasket should be revised to allow for the trim.

[​IMG]

7. untilcomplete

untilcomplete Member

That flange is not supposed to be pulled out.

• Like x 2
    • Disagree x 1
  8. KenC

KenC Active Member

Everyone can do as they like. If it looks good the way it is, then fine, leave it be. I'm just pointing out why there are so many people who've complained of bulges. There's a reason.

The bumper cover does not have a perfect edge, the gasket/flange covers that imperfect edge. How many plastic or metal edges of body panels do you see exposed on the car? That's because gaskets are covering them to hide that edge. On the bumper cover, it may seem like the gasket by squeezing against the bumper cover, is covering the edge, but so many of those gaskets stick up, just like the OP's original picture. That's because the gasket shouldn't be tucked in behind the bumper cover. There's too much rubber there, so it bulges. If you pull out that gasket, it won't bulge.

9. XLR82XS

XLR82XS D M C

danix, FWIW my trunk seal looks like yours post-replacement. Never been touched by service or anyone since built July '19 production.

10. KenC

KenC Active Member

Exactly, they've been installing them that way.

11. 640k

640k Member

i thought we determined in your thread that the flange is NOT supposed to be pulled out? proper installation should have the flange hidden. i don't know if the "twisting" around the trunk latch is normal or not, but the flange is definitely supposed to be tucked.

12. danix

danix Member

All I can tell you is that the Tesla mobile tech did not pull the flange out, so I assume he did it correctly.

• Informative x 1
  13. Brnn

Brnn Member

Mine looks like your "before" pic as well. I'm wondering if this is a problem with the actual gasket part, or just a bad install? Is it glued to the car? I may just try to pull it up and put it back down again myself to avoid the hassle of a service visit.

14. danix

danix Member

Tech said it was improperly installed. It is glued down.

15. cherrybomb

cherrybomb Member

I just went to a Tesla showroom / service center and looked at the trunk. They have it exactly as what @KenC is showing earlier in this thread. Speaking to service, that is the correct way. I am going to pull the flange out so its seated correctly. Guess it wasn't installed correctly from the factory and then mobile service replaced it and did the same thing :confused:

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  16. 03DSG

03DSG Active Member

I noticed a gap between the seal and bumper after my bumper was removed, repainted and reinstalled by a Tesla authorized body shop. Pulled out the flange and all is well again.

• Like x 1