Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trying out a Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We are interested in buying a new Tesla Y and wanted some opinions on whether we should do a 30 minute test drive or rent one from Hertz for a day. Do you really get enough of a feel of the car in 30 minutes?

Thirty minutes will give you a pretty good idea, especially if you have previous EV experience.

If you want to give it a really good test under varying conditions over a period of a day, the rental would be the way to go. Unless, of course, you know someone with a Y who would let you borrow it or who would go along with you and fill you in.

Reactions: Mrdrbot23
A 30-minute test drive was enough for me. With some prior research/drive-bys of the charging options in the towns/places that I normally visit, I was ready to place my order after I got home from the test drive.

same here.

i had ridden in a model x before test driving the model y, but the test drive was good enough for me.

After thoroughly researching everything, since it was my first EV, I was ready to order one after about 5 minutes of my test drive. Then after ordering, I sat and watched my app until delivery day.

I did force myself to do the test drive. Seemed like the last 5% of due diligence.

So if you do your research up front like me and @Mrdrbot23, the expense of a rental is probably unnecessary.

Last friday I did the 30 minute demo drive in a long range. I liked the car, but with such unusual controls, I spent most of my time figuring out how to operate it. I returned the car and said I wasn't sure because the test drive was too short. They offered me a weekend loaner. The way it worked, I picked up the car saturday afternoon 30 minutes before they closed. I then returned the car monday morning on my way to work before they opened. I left my car in their lot over the weekend. It was a good experience. I drove the car for 2-3 hundred miles. I drove at night, I made sure it fit in my garage and planned my charging location, I took a road trip that required changing a supercharger, etc. It was a great way to see if I liked the car enough to buy it. The loaner was a performance and while I loved the acceleration and the ride quality was good on smooth roads and smooth highway, it was poor over expansion cracks and potholes. I also didn't like how low the performance sits since I will need the clearance for snow in the mountains. After the demo, i ordered a LR and will buy the "acceleration boost" features to narrow the acceleration gap between the LR and P.

Reactions: thefisch
Why choose? Do the 30 minute test drive and then decide your next step. I think I did like seven test drives. On one visit I had back to back appointments for me and my wife so we had the car for an hour.

At least the test drive will be a model closer in build date to the one you'd get and you'd get to try out premium connectivity and enhanced autopilot. I'm in a MYLR from Hertz with17k miles and it's pretty scuffed up. Plus it's a June 22 build and doesn't have the comfort suspension, enhanced autopilot or premium connectivity (but does have USS).