Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trying to sort out another wrecked Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Where do I need to look to check the HV contactors?

They are in the front of the battery pack. You will need to remove the pack from the car and open it up.

See: Contactors | TeslaTap

Also, here:

- on 6:20 you will see the HV fuse
- on 7:15 you will see the contactors (still in the pack, he replaces them later on)

Its the white thing with the orange caps and the green dot.

In early packs these contactors (basically 12V controlled relays) would fail from time to time either in the "ON" position or in the "OFF". Tesla has replaced them with another model/brand, but I'm not sure since when that is. You could still have an older model contactor that is fried. There are 2 contactors in each pack, 1 for each pole (+ and -) as a security measure in case a contactor would fail.

They are in the front of the battery pack. You will need to remove the pack from the car and open it up.

See: Contactors | TeslaTap

Also, here:

- on 6:20 you will see the HV fuse
- on 7:15 you will see the contactors (still in the pack, he replaces them later on)

Its the white thing with the orange caps and the green dot.

In early packs these contactors (basically 12V controlled relays) would fail from time to time either in the "ON" position or in the "OFF". Tesla has replaced them with another model/brand, but I'm not sure since when that is. You could still have an older model contactor that is fried. There are 2 contactors in each pack, 1 for each pole (+ and -) as a security measure in case a contactor would fail.

HV Contactors are in the rear of the pack.

• Informative
Reactions: Tozz
I am getting no HV power anywhere that I have checked so far. It was driving when it got wrecked so would that be enough to break one of those connectors? I sure do with there was any kind of information that the car could give me on where to look instead of just a bunch of guessing. This STINKS!

2 fuse boxes. Looks like all the fuses are good.

Check all these fuses in this location. I forgot which exact fuse(30 amp for sure though) but I had a p85d and one of those fuses went out but would show as working even with the tester. Once replaced the car would turn on all the way.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    349.4 KB · Views: 66
Update:

I got a charger in off ebay and when I open the charge port it lights up red and will not let me plug in the charger. So I cannot charge it and it has no HV power anywhere that I have tested so far. Does that give anyone any ideas? Im at the end of my rope on this one and have no idea where to go from here. Checked fuses, checked hvjb, checked pyro, checked terminals on the battery, replaced damaged Dc/Dc converter that was damaged from accident, refilled the coolant just in case that had anything to do with it, etc. What else could I look for besides the SC? Haha

Update:

I got a charger in off ebay and when I open the charge port it lights up red and will not let me plug in the charger. So I cannot charge it and it has no HV power anywhere that I have tested so far. Does that give anyone any ideas? Im at the end of my rope on this one and have no idea where to go from here. Checked fuses, checked hvjb, checked pyro, checked terminals on the battery, replaced damaged Dc/Dc converter that was damaged from accident, refilled the coolant just in case that had anything to do with it, etc. What else could I look for besides the SC? Haha
Did you check the fuse I suggested to check?