Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trying to understand charging behavior and app error message

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi there,

2017 P100D. 3 months old. Energy Savings are off, and the car is "Always Connected".

When charging, using my wall charger once the car has reached my set charge level, the charge port light goes off, i.e. it goes from solid green to off. If I fire up the IOS Tesla app, it takes a few seconds to connect to the car, there's a click-clack from the car, the charge port lights up solid green, and the app home page, under "Charging", says "Charger may not be plugged in correctly". That messages disappears within 2-3 seconds. The charge port stays solid green for a minute or two, and then turns off.

In the above cases, I am NOT approaching the car with the key on my person, i.e. the car isn't unlocking and the displays don't activate.

I believe -- correct if I'm wrong please -- that all of this behavior is normal, except for the "not plugged in correctly" message from the app. Anyone else seen this please? Any ideas? Many thanks.

Hi there,

2017 P100D. 3 months old. Energy Savings are off, and the car is "Always Connected".

When charging, using my wall charger once the car has reached my set charge level, the charge port light goes off, i.e. it goes from solid green to off. If I fire up the IOS Tesla app, it takes a few seconds to connect to the car, there's a click-clack from the car, the charge port lights up solid green, and the app home page, under "Charging", says "Charger may not be plugged in correctly". That messages disappears within 2-3 seconds. The charge port stays solid green for a minute or two, and then turns off.

In the above cases, I am NOT approaching the car with the key on my person, i.e. the car isn't unlocking and the displays don't activate.

I believe -- correct if I'm wrong please -- that all of this behavior is normal, except for the "not plugged in correctly" message from the app. Anyone else seen this please? Any ideas? Many thanks.
I have not seen that error message, so I can't really help you. I seldom use the Tesla app, but I don't recall seeing it before I switched to using Dashboard for Tesla.

First, the behavior of the charge port light going out when the car is charged is not exactly what happens. ANY time the car is charging ad the fob is not nearby or the car shuts down, the charge port light goes out. This happens any time, no matter the status of the charging. When the car is charged(and activated) to the set level, the light will be solid green . It just happens that your observations are when it is charged, so it's easy to conclude that the light goes out when charged. Activating the car with the app is simply making the light come on for a few moments, then it goes back out.

Second, new owners tend to be tentative when plugging in their new cars, as it is a foreign action. Be firm.

I had a similar message on the dash display on my new 75D when I first used my new Tesla wall charger, except the charging ring was going orange. It turned out the new cable was very tight in the charging port of the car and I had to wiggle it a little to get the lock to engage. It straightened out by itself after a few charges and inserting the cable firmly as BerTX recommends.