Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree. Without a sound business strategy they is no Model anything.

I certainly understand people wanting the base model ...and I hope they understand the reason they can't get it yet.

With nearly half a million reservations and many of those people never even hearing of this forum, you can be sure a lot of them are disgruntled. Not a great thing to go from superb word of mouth about your brand to a mixed bag — many uber fans but also disgruntled people who felt they got tricked/scammed.

Anyhow, Elon indicated timeline for $35K version, so let's just hope it's not delayed again and people have patience either way.

@ZachShahan - Thanks for a great read and an even better selection of images! It made me do a double-take...........and then a double-face palm

11 Tesla FUD Claims Of Years Past | CleanTechnica

It will be actually great if there is a page "Tesla FUD debunked", updated regularly (as needed).
When uninformed/troll short appear we can simply refer him to this page and not waste time and energy explaining the same things over and over again.

Similar to this Bloomberg page We’re Tracking Every Project Elon Musk Has Dreamed Up.

It will be actually great if there is a page "Tesla FUD debunked", updated regularly (as needed).
When uninformed/troll short appear we can simply refer him to this page and not waste time and energy explaining the same things over and over again.

Similar to this Bloomberg page We’re Tracking Every Project Elon Musk Has Dreamed Up.

Yeah, we got a kind of recommendation for that in the comments already and I think we may do it.

We already have this thing (inspired by Skeptical Science): The CleanTechnica Answer Box (Renewable Energy & Electric Vehicle Answers To Common Myths) | CleanTechnica

And we have a "Reality Check" feature to respond to bad media coverage of cleantech in a thorough, journalistic way (contacting reporters & editors to try to get answers on why they f***ed things up as much as they did ... asking in a nice way): Reality Check — Correcting the Cleantech Record | CleanTechnica

Many Tesla hit pieces didn't seem to fit into that perfectly and we didn't want it to be 90% Tesla pieces anyway, so we started labeling Tesla FUD responses #Pravduh — Pravduh Archives | CleanTechnica Could work a bit on consolidating those pieces and coming ones to create a huge one-page resource.

Suggestions welcome.

Bloomberg updated their Model 3 production to 5,505 per week from just under 5,000 this morning.

Key piece of information a week ago indicated that some suppliers we delivering to support 6,000 a week. That tidbit was a fundamental I look for to support my bull in a china closet syndrome. If you think about staging, especially now that there is a tent production line; there isn’t much real estate left to support excessive piles of parts. Production, production, production.

This is good news to me in my basement:)

This earnings call should be enough to make 50% of institutional sideline sitters jump, that will far outweigh the efforts of FUDsters through the end of the year AND they all still need to cover.

Go ahead and wait to cover til the 3Q call if you like. What happens if the other half jump in after that call? This is gonna be a mess.

i expect we're going to see some nice analyst reports in the coming weeks that lead to more little hops up in the share price. am curious what people think is going to happen after next conference call — i mean, where the price will land.

and, is there any more dipping down to $330 or lower?

With regard to the 2020 production figure, note that Elon’s CC answer conflicts with the shareholder letter. Given Elon’s propensity to exaggerate, I’ll believe the letter. The WSJ reporter asked if 1M cars was still possible in 2020, and Elon said yes, and that Shanghai was the path to get there. Then Elon started backpedaling in his answer all the way back to 500K for 2020.

The shareholder letter said initial cars coming out of Shanghai will be in 3 years, that’s mid 2021. Initial cars, initial ramp.

So, I’d belive 500k cars, maybe, by 2020.

The bottom line is that to keep growing, Tesla needs to keep building factories. Both car assembly and battery cells.

A lot of things might be happening here, we just don’t know the answers. It may be that Elon made the decision to have a nice clean earnings report and not muddy the waters with talk of capital raises for future factories. A year from now when the share price is $500, he can credibly say the time is good to raise money for a European factory. Or Tesla’s credit might be good enough then to borrow the money for more factories. Thinking about it, secured loans for property and equipment shouldn’t be too expensive?

It is also possible that Tesla is running up against commodity pricing issues for dramatically increasing battery cell supply. Maybe they’ve identified supply, but it won’t come online for another couple of years. We just don’t know,

What I do know is that Tesla has a mission to continue to dominate the EV market, and have a lot of very interesting high sales volume future products (Semi, Model Y, pickup truck). I have little doubt they will grow as fast as they can, unconstrained by demand. How fast they can ramp is still unknown...

Perhaps Cautionary Elon was involved in writing the letter but Optimistic Elon snuck into the call here & there.

Personally, I tweet authors when they write something ignorant or just simple mistakes.
Politely. Don't be mean. :)

"Politely. Don't be mean."
— This is very important. (imho)

That's our approach now (at CleanTechnica) if it seems it wasn't malicious.

If it seems it was malicious, time for a Hulk Smash episode. (That New York Post article comes to mind...)

@Unpilot I did not want to hijack your fun:) I know the excitement.

Friday the wife and I went back into town (Olympia, WA) for a doctors appointment, but first had to stop by Starbucks for egg bites and my why bother latte’ (decaf w/nonfat milk). As we were approaching the area, traffic was backing up. On coming was a silver Model 3, he pulled into the center turn lane, I was getting excited as I alerted my wife. Then a damned cabbie stops right in front of me to allow the 3 to cross traffic.

I get so discouraged that there is no command button to make those falcon wings flap. As traffic slowly moved forward, my wife searched the parking area for the 3, “I see it” she exclaims, “hey there is a Model S there too!” Damned if those Tesla guys did not invite us for pizza too!

The egg bites just did not have the punch I was looking for:-( This was my first up close (sort of) since last October at the Fremont Factory:)

They absolutely should invite you on next call. You pose good questions and coincidentally show up some Wall Street types posing idiot questions like Adam Jonas.

One thing I'd like to hear much more about on next call is progress toward delivering modest numbers of Semi.
Not sure if they have not said much about progress and time line for quite awhile now, or if I've just missed relevant updates.
My own naive view is that there is so many M3 components used in Semi, producing them in initially modest amounts should not be
that far off. I think they could produce the first hundred in a corner of GF1 and get them out to a number of first adopter companies, while working towards an assembly line that can turn them out faster and at the cost they are targeting in say another year.
It makes more sense to get them out there in small quantities and get both feedback and a major additional bullish factor which will be seen as contributing to higher revenue and profit in 2019 and 2020.

Thanks a ton.

Personally, I'm super curious about the Semi. I used to think the Model 3 would be the most transformative vehicle in Tesla's fleet, but now wonder if it will be the Semi.

However, on the call before, Elon basically said (in other words), "We don't have time for that right now. We're not thinking about it much." Maybe I read him incorrectly, but I got the sense they had to just focus on Model 3 until they were close to 10,000/week — or at least well over 5,000/week — and then they'd get back to the Semi. But next call does seem like a prime time for more updates on that. We'll see. :D

(Help to get us on the next call again by tweeting our stuff to Elon. :D)

Status
Not open for further replies.