Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to do a retrospective from the Dec quarter to provide some perspective on how the market may view/receive the M3 ramp:

Dec:
  • Pre-delivery-report expectations
    • Tesla was guiding 1k/wk by 2017 end, 5k/wk by March 2018 end
    • VIN sighting crowd sourced data on TMC estimated ~1500 delivery, and assuming 1k in the last week not delivered, 2500 produced.
    • photos of trucks and lots full of M3 got people excited
    • report of supplier increasing parts to 5k/wk
    • KeyBanc set up a fake high target in order to "manufacture" a Tesla "fail"
  • Post-delivery-report result
    • Tesla announced 700 actual production in last 7 days, extrapolated to 1k/wk, generally received as meh or slight disappointing by TMC
    • TMC crowd sourced data was spot on for overall Q4 production/delivery
    • TSLA shot up by 10% in 1st 2 weeks of Jan, stayed volatile but up from end of 2017, until Tesla pushed the 5k/wk date during Q1 ER in early Feb
Now:
  • Pre-delivery-report expectations
    • Tesla guides 2500/wk production March end, 5k/wk by June 2018 end
    • VIN registration, invitation/config, assignment data all point to increase in March
    • TMC expectations varies widely:
      • weekly rate exiting March anywhere from 1k/wk to 2+k/wk
      • Q1 production ranging from 8k to 11k (I may not have read/remembered everyone's posts correct)
      • Q1 delivery anywhere from 10K to 13K
    • reports of supplier parts order increase
    • Analysts are still negative, again playing the game of setting a fake high target, Tamborino from Goldman thinks Tesla will miss, 7000 delivery, 8500 production, vs expected 13800 deliveries
    • But those with closer ties such as recent meetings with Tesla management and/or tour of factory such as Albertine, Kallo and Choudry coming out saying that Tesla may positively surprise, around 2k/wk at end of March
My personal interpretation:
  • the market is more negative than end of Dec. There was some short-lived pops at the end of Dec, possibly sign of some FOMO because of pictures, supply rumors, anecdotes/rumors. But now in 2H March there is no life in the stock price.
  • TMC's crowd sourced data looks more solid and reliable than the Q4 data, I think we will nail it (in our wide range) just like Q4.
  • I also think the likelihood of Tesla hitting 2k/wk in March end is better than Tesla hitting 1k/wk at the end of Dec
  • one big difference is that at the end of Q4, no analysis stuck their neck out and predicted that Tesla would come close to 1k/wk, this time we have a few with insights into Tesla, I think it's significant, but the Market seems to have completely ignored them
I think if we just isolate to market expectations of M3 production vs what Tesla would potentially report in <1wk, we're in a much better position than end of Dec. We have more solid indications of ramp going well, and the market is expecting the same old if not worse. If Tesla can go up 10% on a fudged 1k/wk at the end of Dec, imagine what can happen if we get a solid 2k/wk (or maybe more) this time.

The big unknown seems to be the macro this time. But if you want to buy into TSLA for the long term, and can look past short term macro jitters, now is a much better time to buy than end of Q4.

Last edited:
I feel you. And on top of that, looking at any other stock and wishing I had invested in those rather than TSLA since everything on my watchlist has gone up ~4% today.

Yeah, I didn´t even get into that. I almost pulled on Tencent, Intel and more NVDA before close on Friday. I would have made my monthly salary twice today if I had but i didn´t dare. Those are up huge today.

These are the moments I wish I could trade options in specific US equities here from Sweden.

God damn it.

The charts are hitting technicals perfectly on the market. Its dragging TSLA up and down with it, we aren't out of the woods yet.

TSLA tracked the broader markets nearly perfectly on Thursday & Friday, but definitely not today.

Regardless, the charts looked terrible around 293. We’re up 10 from there. That’s just one data point, but I’ve seen an awful lot of them.

Reactions: Tenable
I think this is my plan if we settle <$300 for a few days. They were pretty steep last time I checked though. 2019s might be the homerun move.
You’re probably right but I rather sleep at night. Looks like I got the timing right for now, I might actually make money on my account today. Which is weird.

On another note, the stage is set where everyone is under the impression Tesla will collapse once the again. The ball is now in Elon’s court, all he has to do is meet guidance and pop the shorts like nasty zit.

Im going to Reno tomorrow. Is it worth stopping by GF1? Any tips on things I can do? For sure I’ll take pictures and share if it’s of any value regarding production.

Is it worth driving by? Or just stick to the tables and golf courses?
Kidnap JB and make him tell you how many model 3s they produced in Q1.

Im going to Reno tomorrow. Is it worth stopping by GF1? Any tips on things I can do? For sure I’ll take pictures and share if it’s of any value regarding production.

Is it worth driving by? Or just stick to the tables and golf courses?
Unless they've started tours, you can't get close enough to see anything without a drone.

• Informative
Reactions: gene
Status
Not open for further replies.