Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Any insight regarding the conversion to private shares and tax implications? I like to try to hold my shares at least a year to avoid the higher short term capital gains rate. Currently, only about a third of my TSLA holdings are long term.
Suuuuuuper complicated. If this is the sort of offer I'm guessing it will be, then if you hold for conversion to private shares you retain your original purchase price and holding period.

Nope. If Musk's group actually makes the tender offer and it is (a) rejected by the Board or (b) approved by the Board and rejected by the stockholders or (c) revised multiple times with higher prices and then rejected by the stockholders, that's legit.

If they didn't actually make the tender offer, that would lead to an investigation. If they make it, and it doesn't go through *because the stock is worth more than the offer*, that's legit. It's not manipulation, it's a real attempt to take the company private, just one which didn't have enough money to do it.

Wow, so the other shoe drops finally. Elon's tweet about the short burn of the century was never about the 5k/week or GF3. He had this deal in the works, just took a bit longer than he anticipated to close it (Elon-time as usual).
Indeed, he does sincerely want to make Tesla private, but if the squeeze blows way past it, then so be it...

Did I miss anything important in the last year? ;)

Long and strong of the best game in town, amirite?

I will personally try to hold the majority of my shares in the private company but it will be super interesting to see how high the stock could peak now that all those short the stock will have to run for the exit. With the short interest so high, start Elon just tweeted seems to me akin to "yelling fire in a crowded theater" where there's only one exit... And the exit isn't particularly wide.

Has something like this ever occurred historically, i.e. a private buy-out offer of a public company with such a high short interest?

Also, what are the latest estimates of the degree of naked short selling of the stock? I know naked short selling in principle of disallowed but surely there are many work arounds that can be, and are being used, to accomplish this?

Welcome back Johan.

Given that I'm 100% in LEAPS I am having a pretty stressful day. Hoping they are able to somehow convert if we go private.

Only way to do that is to execute the LEAPs. You'll need some cash in order to do that, so if you're truly 100% in LEAPS you'll probably have to sell a bunch of them to execute the rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.