Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Please. Nothing is certain. There is this one small detail; money. Elon needs to find investors willing to pay 420, when stock price is 320.
This is not fud or negativity. This is reality. If I were sure, deal is going go trough I would take that 30% profit at a heartbeat.

I agree, I think going private will be even less likely after good Q3 results if price goes above $420. The best way to beat the short FUD is by executing well. I think a big cap raise is a better idea to ensure the expansion for the next few years with multiple models being released at the same time.

Reactions: Johann Koeber
I agree, I think going private will be even less likely after good Q3 results if price goes above $420. The best way to beat the short FUD is by executing well. I think a big cap raise is a better idea to ensure the expansion for the next few years with multiple models being released at the same time.
If stock price rises to sub 400 level, it is easier to find investors willing to pay 420.

Elazar Advisors:
"Gross Margins Jumping

If you backed into the numbers for Q2 you saw S&X gross margins jumped to 37% or so, up 1100 basis points from Q1. Bears made up stories why that's bad, right?

As Model 3 gross margins go to 15-20% this year and 25-30% next year (all stated by Tesla on the Q1 and Q2 earnings calls) you can get much higher earnings. (free trial: Full model)

And you can start believing Tesla on their targets because those S&X gross margins were the real deal. It's happening.

Yes some of it's on the come but S&X gross margins were too big.

Earnings Inflection Of The Century

We do simple trajectory analysis to see where the numbers are going. We've been doing it for 25 years. Tesla's story is about to hit serious earnings inflection. There aren't that many companies doing what Tesla's about to do with this earnings inflection. We're looking for them and there are not that many out there. And earnings are the primary driver for individual stock price performance.

Bears Way Too Bearish

I can't believe how bearish everybody is. I think everybody's so stuck in the mud being bearish, emotional and negative that they can't honestly look at that Q2 S&X gross margin jump which tells you, uh oh, this is happening. Sorry shorts.

$420 For A Song

$420 is taking Tesla for a song. It's way too cheap. I hope they don't get away with it.

Would you give Tesla a 50 PE for earning our $26.87 in 2019? If so you get a $1,343 stock price. The sell-side's under $3.00 for next year. Way off. No wonder Musk's trying to nab this one on the cheap. Everyone's missing it."
Elazar Advisors, LLC: Our $1000+ Tesla Target Was Way Too Low

Thats great. I like in particular this part:

You Think We're Nuts

Is Ark nuts for their $4,000 target? No. Reuters ranks us for our estimates. We earned 4/5 stars. We don't pull this stuff out of thin air. Unless they jack up operating expenditures Tesla has a real shot of blowing away the Street estimates. Isn't that the type of stuff we're all looking for?

Hmmm...

All this junk being talked about here. FUD campaign on the rise yesterday. Frantic efforts to read into every little bit of information that has Tesla's or Elon's name associated with it (including a picture of a toy car, a model of Mars, and Rice Crispy Treats). The fact we are going into the weekend.

Yeah, I smell a fairly significant stock price drop between now and Friday. Maybe another chance to add to your positions.

Dan

VIN 110000 now but why is Tesla registering so many? No demand. Look at this lot with ton of 3’s.

D99576F1-C8D7-48DB-8641-C7E1E17A583F.jpeg

True.

One element that has not been mentioned in the article is that the German OEMs did succeed in the global markets for decades by pushing most of what we call competitive edge out to the tier 1 and tier 2 suppliers but kept the orchestration and engine & classy design in their hands. They have been very successful in pushing cost down by making suppliers dependent up to the point where they file bankruptcy demanding the impossible. Doing that a few decades and you loose competence.

Now with the new EV challenge in front of them they try to apply exactly the same method they have been successful with manufacturing ICE cars. Large OEMs have lost the ability to build competitive components of their cars themselves. This includes Batteries and B-packs. Even after the tear down of the 3 they still do not understand the superiority of the small cells and the battery management in the penthouse versus their large packs as well as the heat transformation and exchange within the car. Because of that, they believe the battery is a commodity and does not represent a differentiating factor. Also investing in a B factory where they do not make money because of low volume sounds for them like taking a supplier role over and having all the trouble but no profit.

Today they feel like they can apply that supplier structure to the new EV challenge. Thats like as they say: "I have a hammer and every problem in front of me is a nail I can hit" I believe this is again a huge mistake and is a prove of their incompetence around EVs and their underestimation of the challenge in front of them.

At least good to hear that he does believe that VW has a challenge to overcome. Until now they did not acknowledge that even.
They understand it very well. They are not willing to invest around 20bln and spend 5years+ to build full cycle auto-battery plant.
(the number is not taken from the thin air, it is estimation made by one company for VW I believe, though BMW is also a possibility).
Pretty much all components in Li-On batteries are registered as dangerous components in EU, and such factory should be built to the chemical plant blueprints. It's prohibitively expensive in EU.
In Tesla case most practical variant will be to re-purpose some chemical factory in the Netherlands for batteries and motors, and to build assembly plant on the german side of the border. It's becoming doable since Tesla grew too big to ignore. Tesla tried to find place in Europe in 2016 but didn't succeed, probably this time EU sides will be more generous with their investment offers.

• Informative
Reactions: shlokavica22
Thats great. I like in particular this part:

You Think We're Nuts

Is Ark nuts for their $4,000 target? No. Reuters ranks us for our estimates. We earned 4/5 stars. We don't pull this stuff out of thin air. Unless they jack up operating expenditures Tesla has a real shot of blowing away the Street estimates. Isn't that the type of stuff we're all looking for?
Although the stock price is much higher than it was in the early days, I think the risk/reward has never been better. I've rarely seem such risk/reward asymmetry in any asset, let alone a stock. The financial media narrative continues to be overwhelmingly negative at the very moment when it will become blindingly obvious (yes, even to those bears who have been focussing on the wrong things - past and present earnings, rather than the future) that a combination of operating leverage and high revenue growth produces lots of free cashflow.

The earnings inflection mentioned in the article is going to happen soon, over the next 3 quarters and it's going to destroy the bear narrative (bankruptcy/lose money on every car - you name it...) behind the massive short interest. Notice how the "Model 3 production isn't ramping" mantra has suddenly been dropped, as production has ramped, to be replaced by "Musk committed securities fraud". Talk about confirmation bias!

Please stop with the charade and lies.

@beachbum77 is Donn Bailey, one of the most prolific Tesla short authors on Seeking Alpha, with 67 anti-Tesla articles published over the past 14 months. His disclosure on Seeking Alpha says:

"Disclosure: I am/we are short TSLA VIA OPTIONS."​

So his Put options are about to go to zero when the go private deal closes. Good.

This is a great example of why Elon wants Tesla to go private though. The dishonesty of short sellers never ends. I for one will be glad to see them gone.

Thank you for this! These types of posts should also be put in a new thread specifically for outing the shorts. This is a great reference for exposing the FUD on this site.

So here’s a fun anecdote. Feel free to disprove my friend if you think he is wrong and know different.

I have a good buddy who works for Toyota. He says no one holds it against you if you drive a car from another manufacturer.... unless it’s Tesla.

The people that have them at Toyota never drive their Tesla’s into work and never drive them to social events where they could be compromised.

Funniest *sugar* ever. Had me rolling.

Indeed, I misunderstood that part, thanks for the clarification!

It's still true that 60%+ short volume is high by historical standards, but if there are also a lot of shorts covering the net short interest might still be dropping.

No problem. I agree with you that 60%+ short volume is high and I think it's relevant. IMO, if we had a 30% short volume, short interest would probably be lower, but difficult to know for sure, as there are other variables involved.

• Informative
Reactions: Fact Checking
No doubt, since the Tweet, the fully special war (main weapon is FUD) is declared to Tesla, I would sort it and suggest abbreviations:
Wall Street with its wsFUD,
Short shorts with its ssFUD (Any resemblance to actual events is coincidental),
ICE industry with its iceFUD.
TSLAP would half wsFUDs and cut off ssFUDs.

Interesting discussion. Not directly related to Tesla but I think certainly relevant to the current "go private or stay public" debate. Also I post this not to start a pro Trump/anti Trump debate but to gain insight on the concept of quarterly vs. semi annual reporting as a possible middle ground in the discussion.

Dan

I have read the ARK analysis and I do believe they are nuts. Although the price target of $700 to $4,000 correlates with my opinion, I believe it is for entirely opposite reasons to the ones they state. I will try and explain why.

The ARK analysis relies heavily on the Maas first player opportunity. This is pretty reckless. We have no evidence that Tesla will be anywhere near ready to have fully automated taxis ever, nevermind be “launching the Tesla Network in the next 1-2 years”. I agree that once Tesla can demonstrate a car autonomously driving across the US then this should make the stock price pop because one autonomous taxi can make a lot of money each year, and they would have a complete monopoly on a novelty product, but it is too soon to price any of this in yet.

For me, we get to $700 and $4,000 purely for ramping the manufacturing of cars and batteries:
  • In five years, Tesla will be manufacturing 1 million vehicles per year. At average price of $50k and 25% profit, this is $12.5b profits
  • As mentioned in the last quarterly management call, they are aiming to scale the battery energy business at 100% per year. In 2018, battery storage will account for roughly $1b revenue at 10% profit. In five years, this is likely to be $32b at 20% profit (approaching parity with the vehicle business). Therefore $6.4b profits
  • In 2023, we will have 3 million Teslas on the road, now we should see significant revenue from the superchargers. Lets say 20% of these cars supercharge once per week at an average cost of $30 per user. That is $1b in revenue. If Tesla can use their battery tech to either store solar energy or to siphon off excess energy from power stations at night, then we could see good profit margins here. For now, lets just say 20% again. Therefore $200m profits. This assumes that Tesla does not open up the superchargers to any other car company
  • Apps and services. Paid for apps and services can only come once we have full autonomy with some exceptions with regards to possibly music or destination booking (restaurants, hotels etc). So probably we shouldn’t price this in now

So, we are looking at roughly $20bn profits in five years’ time. You can multiply this by 20-30 to get a market cap as the business will still have a long way to grow, so this would be $400bn-$600bn without any mention of Maas. Maas would take it over $1tn

I have read the ARK analysis and I do believe they are nuts. Although the price target of $700 to $4,000 correlates with my opinion, I believe it is for entirely opposite reasons to the ones they state. I will try and explain why.

The ARK analysis relies heavily on the Maas first player opportunity. This is pretty reckless. We have no evidence that Tesla will be anywhere near ready to have fully automated taxis ever, nevermind be “launching the Tesla Network in the next 1-2 years”. I agree that once Tesla can demonstrate a car autonomously driving across the US then this should make the stock price pop because one autonomous taxi can make a lot of money each year, and they would have a complete monopoly on a novelty product, but it is too soon to price any of this in yet.

For me, we get to $700 and $4,000 purely for ramping the manufacturing of cars and batteries:
  • In five years, Tesla will be manufacturing 1 million vehicles per year. At average price of $50k and 25% profit, this is $12.5b profits
  • As mentioned in the last quarterly management call, they are aiming to scale the battery energy business at 100% per year. In 2018, battery storage will account for roughly $1b revenue at 10% profit. In five years, this is likely to be $32b at 20% profit (approaching parity with the vehicle business). Therefore $6.4b profits
  • In 2023, we will have 3 million Teslas on the road, now we should see significant revenue from the superchargers. Lets say 20% of these cars supercharge once per week at an average cost of $30 per user. That is $1b in revenue. If Tesla can use their battery tech to either store solar energy or to siphon off excess energy from power stations at night, then we could see good profit margins here. For now, lets just say 20% again. Therefore $200m profits. This assumes that Tesla does not open up the superchargers to any other car company
  • Apps and services. Paid for apps and services can only come once we have full autonomy with some exceptions with regards to possibly music or destination booking (restaurants, hotels etc). So probably we shouldn’t price this in now

So, we are looking at roughly $20bn profits in five years’ time. You can multiply this by 20-30 to get a market cap as the business will still have a long way to grow, so this would be $400bn-$600bn without any mention of Maas. Maas would take it over $1tn
While I agree with you on much of what you say, I do take some issue with the concept of autonomy. Tesla has stated several times that they could have easily done the cross country demonstration as much as a year ago if they had simply programmed the route. This would, however, create a false positive among the public. By your analysis then they could have reaped the benefits of such a demonstration long ago but instead they chose to go with the bigger picture rather than mislead the public into believing the system was "ready". I feel like the news of the new Tesla chip is huge and along with the hardware updates scheduled to be implemented in the next few months could very well lead to full autonomy within the next two years.

As is the case with all of this, time will tell for sure.

Dan

If stock price rises to sub 400 level, it is easier to find investors willing to pay 420.
That is not how pricing works. Here is how the judge calculated Dell’s value to arrive at that the price was $6B or 22% under fair value.
(Source: How Michael Dell Shortchanged Shareholders While Doing Nothing Wrong)

To begin with, and importantly, he refused to credit “LBO pricing models,” which the special committee’s advisors had, indeed, used when courting potential MBO partners. In those, the advisor backs into a price that will offer a financial buyer the prospect of earning a fat return on investment of at least 20% over the ensuing years. Laster felt this resulted in an artificially low price.

Instead, Laster used a “discounted cash-flow model” (DCF)—where you compute the expected cash flow over a period into the future and then compute the present value of that cash flow.

That is not how pricing works. Here is how the judge calculated Dell’s value to arrive at that the price was $6B or 22% under fair value.
(Source: How Michael Dell Shortchanged Shareholders While Doing Nothing Wrong)

To begin with, and importantly, he refused to credit “LBO pricing models,” which the special committee’s advisors had, indeed, used when courting potential MBO partners. In those, the advisor backs into a price that will offer a financial buyer the prospect of earning a fat return on investment of at least 20% over the ensuing years. Laster felt this resulted in an artificially low price.

Instead, Laster used a “discounted cash-flow model” (DCF)—where you compute the expected cash flow over a period into the future and then compute the present value of that cash flow.

What some judge decides has nothing to do what investors are willing to pay. You are apparenty quoting some discussion, whether LBO price is legally right or wrong. It is totally different question.

I was _only_ saying, that if stock price is only slightly sub 400, it is easier to find investors ready to finance privatisation with 420 than if the stock price is 320.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.