Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Omg just woke up. These numbers are amazing. Don’t fret about the stock price right now guys! It’ll go up I promise. In q3 2016 the stock price was 180 right after we fixed the model X and delivered a record quarter for a whole month before it jumped 2X. This news isn’t beyond amazing and will catch the news of institutional and others. Sit tight, buckle up, and enjoy your day!

I got a "cold call" invitation on LinkedIn from a Financial Advisor wanting to work with me. He's from UBS. I'm thinking of replying that I don't do business with UBS based on their manipulative practices with Tesla?

Their analyst Hummel, man he has one big fat love crush on the Bolt.
I can't help but wonder what his closet looks like. :rolleyes:

The NYTimes get me so worked up. I remember DaveT conducted an interview of Andrea James a few years ago, she had stated “everyone I talked to in California was long TSLA, and everyone I spoke with in NY was short TSLA.”

One thing for sure is that New Yorkers haven’t been to California lately, if they had, they wouldn’t be shorting this stock. Our roads are literally filled with Tesla’s everywhere. For this reason, I really think New Yorkers should “get out more.”
I saw a white Model S in New York City two days ago (I was visiting). Nobody should be driving in Midtown NYC except taxis, but hey, Teslas are there. Someone I talked to who lived in the suburbs was asking eagerly about my Tesla.

Ok, this is borderline insane. The Street headline: "Tesla Meets Model 3 Production Targets, Misses Delivery Estimates".

This is what the actual article says:
"Tesla delivered 83,500 total vehicles in the third quarter, including 55,840 Model 3s..." and "Analysts were expecting the company to deliver 82,000 vehicles. Analysts polled by FactSet were expecting the company to deliver 56,000 Model 3s in the quarter."

So according to the headline Tesla missed analysts` delivery prognoses, when the article shows it has surpassed that by 1500. Or should we think the headline is warranted because Tesla missed the Model 3 delivery estimates by 160? That`s a 2% beat on totals and a 0.3% "miss" on M3 if you can even call it that!

This is nuts!

Ok, this is borderline insane. The Street headline: "Tesla Meets Model 3 Production Targets, Misses Delivery Estimates".

This is what the actual article says:
"Tesla delivered 83,500 total vehicles in the third quarter, including 55,840 Model 3s..." and "Analysts were expecting the company to deliver 82,000 vehicles. Analysts polled by FactSet were expecting the company to deliver 56,000 Model 3s in the quarter."

So according to the headline Tesla missed analysts` delivery prognoses, when the article shows it has surpassed that by 1500. Or should we think the headline is warranted because Tesla missed the Model 3 delivery estimates by 160?

This is nuts!
oh its even better.....

"Tesla Inc. TSLA, -1.90% reported third-quarter deliveries of 83,500 vehicles, including the delivery of 55,840 Model 3 vehicles that beat the FactSet consensus of 55,600 vehicles. "

notice it says 56k in your quote...

Tesla beats delivery expectations for Model 3, Model S and Model X vehicles

I shocked and confused about all this way too often. Stock price seems like the first 1/4 2013 prices to me. I had my S for several months of fun and there was no way that Tesla wasn't going to make it based off of that one solid product alone. Model 3? how many years have other automakers had a chance to come up with something, anything? and nothing? really WTF...I think Tesla will be 1T well before 2030. probably before 2025.

Taking an Uber yesterday, I asked the 60+ year old driver -- who he said was a Buick dealer in the past, what he thought of Tesla. Oh boy, later did I understand that I made a mistake! :D He went on for the rest of the ride giving me encyclopedic knowledge about Elon(and his past achievements), Tesla, SpaceX, Boring and PayPal. He said that Elon is the Thomas Edison of our time. He is one data point and I am the second one.

oh its even better.....

"Tesla Inc. TSLA, -1.90% reported third-quarter deliveries of 83,500 vehicles, including the delivery of 55,840 Model 3 vehicles that beat the FactSet consensus of 55,600 vehicles. "

notice it says 56k in your quote...

Tesla beats delivery expectations for Model 3, Model S and Model X vehicles
WOW! So did they go in and change the number? Here is a screenshot of the article as of now:

street.JPG

Yes, but from and to where?
The Tesla factory, with its huge number of employees all trying to get to the same place all at once? The Gigafactory, where exactly the same thing is happening?

Yeah, some situations are more suited to passenger rail than others. Large manufacturing facilities with huge numbers of employees is one of them.

I used to live in NYC. To go anywhere took hours by subway,
Well, your alternative was to take several MORE hours to go by car, and then walk miles from the nearest parking space. That's not an alternative. (I've tried it. The subway's faster.)

and every time I came out of the subway, I smelled like the one other unpressured utility that also flowed underground and leaked into the subway system mostly in Chinatown but all over: sewer.
That has literally nothing to do with train service. The streets and sidewalks of New York smell too. The subways of London, Beijing, Moscow, Stockholm are clean. In LA, the subway's cleaner than the streets (telling you which one gets more funding for cleaning).

NYC is not a city I like. It has serious problems. Some are because all the severely mentally ill people were thrown out of the institutions onto the street by Ronald Reagan. Some are because street (and subway) cleaning was defunded and never reinstituted. Some can onely be described as due to bad attitude -- a tolerance for littering which you would never see in some other countries.

This has absolutely nothing to do with train service. Step out of your car to walk from the parking garage to the door of your destination building and you'll see the same problem.

The stations were annoyingly cold or hot, stinky, full of dangerous and ugly people, and soul-crushing.
That has literally nothing to do with train service, again.

Train stations can be "temples of commerce" or ratty shacks, just as roads can be smooth and well-maintained or potholed, trash-strewn messes (Detroit comes to mind for the latter).

As a reward, I lost a lot more ability of my knees by having to walk so far at both ends of the trip, and often between subways themselves, and often through dangerous polluted smelly ugly neighborhoods.

The fact that you don't like New York City (I dislike it quite a lot myself, and much prefer to visit Boston) has absolutely nothing to do with train service whatsoever.

The solution is to avoid density altogether, diminishing the density of existing high density areas until they are low density enough that roads work well.
OK, you're following a back-to-the-land, mandatory low-density, NO CITIES idea. This was actually tried in the US in 1950s as *government policy*, as a reaction to the fear that nuclear war could destroy a city with one bomb. It's been pretty much a disaster.

I won't argue with you about your preference for this, because it's a preference. Your preference is simply not shared by the majority of people. Lots of people like cities, and there are long essays on how suburban life ends up antisocial and wastes most of its time travelling in different directions. If you don't get this -- perhaps you will get it when you realize that in practice, your utopia has no nightclubs and no theaters and no block parties and no street festivals and no museums and no art galleries. Some people like those things. (Some people don't). It's impossible to sustain them without density; it's been tried.

What I will point out, however, is that Musk is not proposing what you're proposing. Musk is proposing car tunnels as a solution to *urban problems*. Your desire to eliminate cities has nothing to do with this. Musk's idea doesn't work in cities, and he is proposing it specifically for cities. He is not proposing what you are proposing.

No, that's not at all true: freeways are built before the overcrowded phase.
Historically inaccurate. Freeways are built after ordinary roads get overcrowded. This isn't even debatable; you can just look up the history of it.

Last edited:
Bob Lutz reminds me of a senile old man who can't cope with progress of the modern world. "Back in my day we drove real cars that burned dinosaurs. And you know they were good because unions built them out of non corrosion resistant steel. And the only good electric car was a crushed electric car. Now get off my lawn!"

It makes me laugh every time GM sends me a letter saying that I can buy a Navigation update DVD for the discounted price of $175.

Are journalists legally forbidden to complain publicly about the headlines that make their articles misleading? If not, why don't they say a thing about this practice that ruins their work, their personal reputation and the future of journalism?
Umm... because they don't care? They know their employers have an agenda. Tesla supplies ZERO dollars towards media's financial needs, and have indicated that they plan to NEVER do so. So the way that most media sees they can get value out of Tesla is to sensationalize them, use them, and draw viewers and clicks to their news source, so that those viewers can then see the ads from their paying sponsors; legacy auto! It's such a clear picture; and one that it makes me blind. With anger, disbelief, and then laughter!

The journalists are paid to write; by their employers. Do they want a job, or not? This financial world of ours is most vicious.

All we have on our side is time; and companies with leadership and missions like Tesla, and quite a handful more that are not legacy, smaller, and that are well below the radar.

"We are the Borg! You will be assimilated!"

Umm, no. We won't.

Status
Not open for further replies.