Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
After today’s great factory and delivery numbers, I didn’t expect any headlines today that said “missed targets”!

I'm frankly not going to do the work to file the SEC complaints, but the "missed Wall Street expectations" headline was so *blatantly* false and deliberately misleading that I hope *someone* captured it with timestamps to send to the SEC.

I think being skeptical is healthy (unlike being a cynic) but the numbers look good and the competition is further behind than I thought. A lot further behind.

I still think Q2 '19 is the quarter where it all happens - it's exciting!
Don't get me wrong I appreciate most of your skepticism, am just a little bit surprised since this level of bullishness is a rare find based on your past posts.

While I agree with most of the optimism, I think those are far from slam dunk. There are serious executional risks going forward. Tesla owners are still bothered by very long wait when it comes to repair, augmenting service infrastructure takes load of money. They need to smooth out delivery, stop this end-of-quarter-push nonsense that pisses off customers, which means they might get hit in some quarter's financials. And it is not easy to allocate very limited capital for so many different things, such as expanding service infra, building new factories, the model Y, pickup, semi. We still need loads of charging stations in apartment/condo complexes, grocery stores, hotels, fast food stops along highways.

Just so many things could go wrong and give shorts field days. I just wish we stay strong on those times reminding ourselves there will be rainbows after the storm, because Tesla is the only one who can build EVs profitably, and it's the only car builder who knows a thing or two about improving user experience in an ecosystem.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
Ok, this is borderline insane. The Street headline: "Tesla Meets Model 3 Production Targets, Misses Delivery Estimates".

This is what the actual article says:
"Tesla delivered 83,500 total vehicles in the third quarter, including 55,840 Model 3s..." and "Analysts were expecting the company to deliver 82,000 vehicles. Analysts polled by FactSet were expecting the company to deliver 56,000 Model 3s in the quarter."

So according to the headline Tesla missed analysts` delivery prognoses, when the article shows it has surpassed that by 1500. Or should we think the headline is warranted because Tesla missed the Model 3 delivery estimates by 160? That`s a 2% beat on totals and a 0.3% "miss" on M3 if you can even call it that!

This is nuts!
Screenshot, timestamp, document? This is all fodder for what should be an SEC case against the bearish market manipulators. I frankly am not going to do the work to assemble a dossier, but someone should.

U.S. Auto Sales Brand Rankings – September 2018 YTD | GCBC

upload_2018-10-2_9-16-0.png

Tesla has 1.24% YTD US Market Share!

More like: Chinese Tesla buyers are getting slammed by tariffs and purchasing cars at a 60% premium. Tesla accelerating new plant construction to reduce cost to buyers.

I was musing this morning on how fast they got that new line running in Fremont this year- measured in months or maybe in weeks not years. Consider that and avoiding the missteps with the Model X/3 ramp and this could happen pretty quickly. It shouldn't be overlooked that construction projects in China usually happen faster than here in the U.S.

No matter your opinion on Trump's tariffs/trade war, it might be of benefit in lighting a fire to get Shanghai open and running even faster than it otherwise would have. The benefits are pretty clear.

Wow. We should save those details -- did people get timestamped screenshots? -- because it's evidence of market manipulation at "Business Insider". Putting out a blatantly false headline to move the market, and getting it into Google, before "correcting" it.

That's publication of materially false information, and they knew it was materially false (they can check Wall Street expectations as well as anyone else) and they published the false headline anyway.

Here: Business Insider Misleading Headline

This is what the actual article says:
"Tesla delivered 83,500 total vehicles in the third quarter, including 55,840 Model 3s..." and "Analysts were expecting the company to deliver 82,000 vehicles. Analysts polled by FactSet were expecting the company to deliver 56,000 Model 3s in the quarter."

(@neroden)

Note that IIRC even the 56,000 figure is probably a lie, the "expectations" website they used predicted 55,600-ish numbers, which the WSJ rounded up to 56,000 to be able to call it a 'miss' ... before comparing it to the non-rounded delivery numbers ...

(On phone, cannot check, writing from memory. If anyone has link & data please post it.)

I really don't think it would matter how positive the news was today for Tesla. We are seeing normal trading resume after 2 days of the shorts being limited. They are back big time. Once the stock clears and holds $311+, it will be running upwards. Shorts will keep it below $310 for as long as they can. They would love to get it back below $300. There is also some profit taking going on of course. TSLA needs to hold $303ish to stay poised for a breakout above $311. That level held easily today. I'm anticipating $330+ within the next couple of weeks.

I saw posts about people expecting analysts to have to upgrade their financial models and price targets for Tesla. I think that's mostly wishful thinking. As we saw with Adam Jonas, I generally expect analysts to continue to support their existing perspective on Tesla. They will use whatever other data they want to support their opinion. Even with a rather good Q3 ER, I don't believe analysts will change their stances overnight. I think it will be a more gradual process. Analysts with bearish views are very unlikely to suddenly turn bullish.

Wow. We should save those details -- did people get timestamped screenshots? -- because it's evidence of market manipulation at "Business Insider". Putting out a blatantly false headline to move the market, and getting it into Google, before "correcting" it.

That's publication of materially false information, and they knew it was materially false (they can check Wall Street expectations as well as anyone else) and they published the false headline anyway.

It's still like that right now. Google TSLA, then scroll right one click on the Top Stores bar.

• Informative
Reactions: wipster and neroden
I didn’t exactly nail the timing on the dip, but I bought my original shares +1 at 305.75.

This stock market thing is easy, sell higher, buy again lower right???

:)

Reminder- I’m still an idiot investor

Yeah, but what if Elon had tweeted "Tesla Q3 +$500m GAAP profit" just after you sold, wouldn't have been a happy ending...

Which is why I won't trade - with $TSLA you never know what's going to happen one moment to the next!

Last edited:
Yeah, but what if Elon had tweeted "Tesla Q3 +$500m GAAP profit" just fear you sold, wouldn't have been a happy ending...

Then SEC would sue him again taking the SP down by $40 or so.
My observation is that TSLA does not move up according to news released.
It moves up when some big buyer is accumulating, such as Tencent in early 2017 and SPIF in summer 2018 (prior to taking private tweet).
Otherwise it does the crazy volatile dance with big drops due to organized FUD attacks and slower recoveries as it becomes clear the "news" was fake.

ps: exception to this rule was the SEC settlement which caused recovery just as fast.

Then SEC would sue him again taking the SP down by $40 or so.
My observation is that TSLA does not move up according to news released.
It moves up when some big buyer is accumulating, such as Tencent in early 2017 and SPIF in summer 2018 (prior to taking private tweet).
Otherwise it does the crazy volatile dance with big drops due to organized FUD attacks and slower recoveries as it becomes clear the "news" was fake.

ps: exception to this rule was the SEC settlement which caused recovery just as fast.

You may well be correct, but I daren't risk selling anything. I only have 520, which isn't enough to play with - especially give the €30 trade fee I pay plus some tax.

Morgan Stanley Adam Jonas:

1. Tesla 3Q deliveries were 11% above our estimate and 8% above the street.
2. Volume surprises driven by Model 3 (+11% vs. MS), Model S (+12% vs. MS) and Model X (+10% vs. MS)
3. Production of 53,239 Model 3 units suggests average weekly production of approx. 4,100 with 5,300 produced in final week.
4. Model 3 mix skewed extremely high-end with production of dual motor exceeding single motor and nearly 100% of production dual motor over last few weeks.
5. Compared with MS 3Q forecast, the 8,192 total delivery beat (all models) could drive $600mm of incremental revenue and at least $200mm of incremental pretax, potentially making Tesla OP Positive on a GAAP basis for 3Q vs. our forecast of nearly $100mm US GAAP OP loss.

Of course that meant, recalculating the spreadsheet and adjusting their price target upwards to.... wait for it... $291

Unchanged! Laughable...

Status
Not open for further replies.