Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
846,885 square meters is 209 acres. Conversion listed is two square miles...
(It's numbers, with commas, thus market action.)

For reference, I found that "The entire NUMMI facility covers about 370 acres." And according to the same source from 2010 "Tesla is buying 210 acres". I don't know if they now own the whole 370 acres? So the Shanghai facility could be huge!

Reactions: SpaceCash
This is awesome news and comes in at the right time. Positive macros and positive Tesla news combined with a high beta are usually positive for the SP.

I am delighted that China is moving ahead quickly. The expansion of production capabilities have been one of my larger concerns. It feels like Elon has been careful on that front to avoid more discussions around Debt, CF and profitability.

Investing means more CapEx which I personally would have liked to happen earlier although its food for shorts. Having China locally funded makes this a pretty slick deal.

I wonder when we see the GF1 expanding too. Its the only location where they can make space for the Semi and Y and Roadster unless they want to do them in China as well which I doubt. Maybe the Y for the local market though.

On top of it they have the Battery, Battery Pack and Motor business under one roof as well. Thats how Elon said all future GF will be designed and it makes total sense as you avoid risks and costs to move the parts around.

We are moving to the model of, raw material in on one side and finished product out at the other and all of that for the market nearby.

River Rouge redux.

While clearly we should expect a green day today, I do expect some profit taking at some point before the Q3 report. The price was low enough for so long, there's going to be some people (short-term traders, weak longs) looking to exit or reduce their exposure. I'd also expect an increase in short interest in advance of the Q3 report now that the price is higher.

How many levels?

I've read they basically have two floor levels in the Fremont factory, but I could be wrong.

(https://www.sfchronicle.com/file/178/7/1787-_16-0830 Tesla Master Plan Final copy.pdf)

As to the Shanghai factory, maybe it will be in the form of a cube, i.e. the same height as width and length? Isn't that the most volumetrically effecitve shape (unless it were a sphere but we're still on Earth and have to consider gravity). In that case it could become the Juggernaut Elon has dreamt of: raw materials in at the one end, very tight highly automated production in 3 dimensions, out the other end comes cars at a rate of 20 cm of car per second on a conveyor belt.

(In 2016 after Elon's talk about "volumetric density" of manufacturing i started thinking about the unit MMCPM (millimetres of car per minute) as a useful metric. Since then he has walked back somewhat, saying that full on automation wasn't really achievable as of today and for example listening to him explain in the recent factory tour video with Marques Brownlee that some things are just way better done by humans for now).

Last edited:
Glad Tesla managed to buy the land, but at $170 per square meter it’s not really cheap. Is that a normal price for industrial plots in that area?

And the building needs to be pretty space efficient (multiple stories) to become a real GIGAfactory on an area that is smaller than the Fremont area. I hope they learned a lot from their experiences in Fremont and Nevada. They probably did.

I think their initial target is 250k/year, i.e. about 5k/week. I don't think 10k/week was ever talked about?

"We expect construction to begin in the near future after we get all the necessary approvals and permits. From there, it will take roughly two years until we start producing vehicles and then another two to three years before the factory is fully ramped up to produce around 500,000 vehicles per year for Chinese customers."

Tesla makes Gigafactory 3 in China official, plans to start production in 2 years

This was on July 10, before the recent acceleration of plans.

The Shanghai Gigafactory could start making Model 3's a lot faster than people expect...
Totally agree, for the purpose of workaround tariff, lost's of things can be shipped there to assemble Model 3 if they do have plan to assemble 3, not Y only.
I clearly remember when BMW build their first batch of cars in Chinese JV factory, they shipped cars and wheels separately to China, then bolt on wheels at the Chinese factory, voila, no tariff...
Not saying Tesla should do the same, but I think shipping welded/painted white body and battery modules there to assemble is not out of question, they don't even have to wait for the press and robots to be installed.
They could start to put things on ships and fly people in, GA line could be ready before parts arrive.

For reference, I found that "The entire NUMMI facility covers about 370 acres." And according to the same source from 2010 "Tesla is buying 210 acres". I don't know if they now own the whole 370 acres? So the Shanghai facility could be huge!

Remember also, that a significant portion of that area in Fremont is staff etc. parking.... I would guess that in Shanghai there will be 80% less people coming to the factory on a daily basis by car. Rather they will be using public transport or Tesla busses them in.

So even if the land area in Shanghai is less than Fremont, there is a very good chance that the actual productive factory floor space will be equal to or higher.

"We expect construction to begin in the near future after we get all the necessary approvals and permits. From there, it will take roughly two years until we start producing vehicles and then another two to three years before the factory is fully ramped up to produce around 500,000 vehicles per year for Chinese customers."

Tesla makes Gigafactory 3 in China official, plans to start production in 2 years

This was on July 10, before the recent acceleration of plans.

How Tesla will produce 10k/w on 210 acres is another question...

• Helpful
Reactions: Boomer19
The SEC Twitter enforcement lawyer clearly hasn't understood the 3 months maybe, 6 months def meme, otherwise that tweet wouldn't have passed.
What do you find problematic here? It's not clear that the problem or solution is a material change to prior guidance. It is obvious that the service network must scale with the size of the Tesla fleet. That should be news to no one with a functioning brain. What Misk is articulating is a desire to fill in geographical gaps. This is a matter of where the network will grow, not how much will be invested. Materiality is a question of how much, not where.

Status
Not open for further replies.